100%  [ 3 ]
dont like it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: that thing with the penguins

as you know penguins wont recycle if there is no class 4 battle...

as i posted before it can be considered as a bug, but many veterans think it's one of these cool "bug gets feature"-things.

so i thought we can try to keep this flavor of the penguin but adding some balance touch to it.

the following suggestion also includes a cool new battle engine feature that we could use for other ships:

25-50% (or any other number you suggest) of the penguins will be recycled after class 1 battle and 100% at the end of class 4 battle (wich will not always happen)

* we have a percentage function for modifiers
* the "leave-class 2/3/4 empty"-trick will still work somehow but the effect is reduced
* the penguin will not just get worse ... this has also a positive side: you reduce the possible damage that higher class ships could deal to the penguins

additional to that we could add a improved holo generator to the tec tree (as suggested in the holo generator 2.0 post) to leave the option to totally counter the penguin-recycle trick

like it?
 Back to top »
Cloudgatherer
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject:

Im sort of torn... Can't cast a vote either way.

On the one hand: I don't want to rain on the parade. I don't want to be the guy who ruined Pengs for everybody. I don't play a race that can use Myc tech, so I suppose my opinion is bias, as is those of you who do play a race that can use them, and like to use this mechanic. I am sure it can be balanced out a little better so that it is fair, and you guys can still use the old "bug" like you are use to, and no body could really cry foul... But...

On the other hand: This discussion comes in the aftermath of the Kamikaze/Blockade Runner discussion, where it was almost immediately ruled a bug, not a "cool feature", without any talk of trying to make it balanced. If no one else would have, I would make a stand for it and come up with some way to balance it, as you are doing now with the Penguin. See how that can be somewhat construde as a double standard?

"One of God's own rejects. Some sort of high-powered mutant, not even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, but too rare to die."
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject:

in the end there is only one question: does it serve the game. Sure, it is not always easy to balance everything out - and anyway total balance is boring. And we feel connected to the players community and will always react to complaints - but in the end we need to make a decision - i am sorry if we cannot please everybody sometimes - but if we think that something is so far out of balance, that we need to change it, you maybe want to trust us that it is for the wealth of this game -

what other intrests ever could there be? this is non-commercial, takes millions of hours of work aso. ... there is nothing else on our minds then making this game interesting and thrilling

anyway if we change the kam. and will think someday it was better the other way, we can change it back

but now the penguin: sure ancored fleets can be powerful, but cyclopes shooting 3 rounds can be too... the ancored fleets are not the problem ... the problem is that there is no countremeasure to it... that should change.
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject:

the problem with all the cool tricks in ST is that there is no sufficient documentation about them. maybe if it would be written in the manual that penguins don't recyle unless there is a c4 battle then that would suffice.

because when i think of it now, i have never thought the penguins to be overpowered. they are very useful, but its difficult to keep them from recycling when you are the attacking one. and they die really well against all anti c1 ships.

otherwise, having lets say 50% of them recycle in any case would work as a nerf. but then there is the issue that enemys can attack the penguin fleet with just 1 fighter and cause 50% of the penguins to recycle. or maybe that would be a cool effect. ahh so many possibilities.
 Back to top »
Cloudgatherer
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Meh, I voted why not.

Didn't mean to rant or thread jack.

"One of God's own rejects. Some sort of high-powered mutant, not even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, but too rare to die."
 Back to top »
ncaries
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject:

call me conservative, i like it as it is.
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject:

the addition of the holo-generator will add a counter to it - that should be enough...
 Back to top »
vyor
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject:

why not
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject:

this is done.