Memberlist Usergroups
Register
ship balance : basic ships
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » ship balance : basic ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: ship balance : basic ships

the game balance of st is centered around the basic ships. This is cool and is a great thing.

so you can always use the basic ships and they go strong. but this makes the ship balance very fragile and for new ships - and so... many new ships , with cool effects cannot be added to st.

i think it would be cool, if you can add to any effect a marker (for example !)

an effect with an ! will not work on a basic ship or building (fighter, destroyer, cruiser, shipyard, research center)

with this we could add much more ships without sacrificing the game balance...

what do you think???
 Back to top »
vyor
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject:

adding that would fk up the balance in itself. Poeple would only use those ships to avoid swanks and other things.
 Back to top »
Cloudgatherer
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't see it as such a bad idea. So long as you (administration) are very careful about using it. Overusing the ! syntax would pretty much defeat the purpose of having anything other than basic ships, which would suck and is not what you're intending, I'm sure.

Use it only in a case-by-case basis as one of the "drawbacks" you can add to certain inventions that would otherwise be too powerful or otherwise unbalanced. Ah, whatsmore, to add to the potential of this, you could further add upon that syntax by limiting the classes of basic ships. ! would mean ALL basic ships, !1 would mean c1 basic ships, !2 would mean c2 basic ships, etc.

This would be used as like a counterbalancer for those ships who just didnt have a "drawback" that fit before. If that is what you're intending (which it sort of seems like it is), then I am all for it.

New ships on the horizon?

"One of God's own rejects. Some sort of high-powered mutant, not even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, but too rare to die."

Last edited by Cloudgatherer on Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject:

for now, you can already invent your ships, so they don't affect basic fighters, destroyers, etc:

just use the right syntax, for example, if you destroy a fighter, recycle one after, or such
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject:

ehem... that is not very convinient...

ok... it's no fun to program it ... but i am willed to do it because i think it would open the door for a big bunch of new crazy ships... we could add 20 ships ( late in the tec tree) without hurting the game balance...
 Back to top »
vyor
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject:

hmmmmm, anyone here remember my old skyhook?

http://www.spacetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7045
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject:

i gave this a thought. here it is.
its a wall of text, i know. i'm not good with words, so i have to write everything through more than needed.

as much as i like the idea of adding new cool ships, i feel that this new syntax would be a step in the wrong direction.
all the syntaxes we now have are universal, meaning they work on every ship unless the target itself is immune to the effect (like blockade runners are to modifying effects).
this new syntax would work as an exception to this rule and would not be straightforwardly understandable.
i explain:

lets take blockade runner. it has it written in the syntax that it is immune to modifying effects. very easily understandable for anyone willing to read and understand the effect.

now lets take the fighter. all it does is it fights, very easy to understand. but now lets add some ships in the game that can't hurt the fighter. now when someone reads the fighter description, there is nowhere said that this or that ship can't hurt it.

what im getting at here is that this new syntax would be "inside info" for anyone playing the game who has not read through the manual about all ships in the game.
i think the angle of approach is wrong. instead of excluding ships from being affected by some effect, the ships themselves should be immune to them. so instead of having ships that can't influence the basic ships, maybe we should add an immunity effect to the basic ships.

i feel that adding new rules and exceptions can hurt the game by making it even harder to understand for new players. the point of the basic ships is that they are simple to understand. thats why they are the basic ships. if we have effects that don't work on them then these basic ships aren't so basic anymore.
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject:

i understand what you mean... this game is complex, keep it simple etc.

but this thing would not confuse any newbie or veteran, it just means that that high tec ships cannot kill the basic ships. the user of a fighter or destroyer dont need to consider anything more than now.

anyway i do not consider st as to compex ... it is somehow ahead of its time.

i rather would like to push the limits.

lets imagine the ship set we have as balanced somehow.

now we declare the very basic ships - let's called the basic class (fighter ,destroyer etc.)

then we declare the others of our set - let's call it the core class (the rest)

now we could imagine a unlimited number of somehow hirarchic ordered ship-sets that can /cannot affect some ship-sets

this way we could define a balancable tec-system with 1000 different ships

imagine tec-tree^3

and the basic ships will just work fine...

i guess this is what i am thinking of ... haha ... i like it
 Back to top »
ncaries
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:

expressing my thoughts on this topic would cost a lot of effort but fortunately senors post expresses them well.

don't underestimate the complexity of the game, esp. for new players. complexity isnt a problem if there are some consequent guideline that help you through, but this isnt helping.

in my opinion it isnt a goal to add more ships, i think it should be a challange to add value with a new ship, gives the basics we already have.
And: to many ships tend to make a battle a lottery

Thetrue challange of 'innovation' now lies in a stronger link between the strategical and tactical gameplay.
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Thetrue challange of 'innovation' now lies in a stronger link between the strategical and tactical gameplay.

youre right
 Back to top »
Cloudgatherer
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject:

Senor wrote:
...what im getting at here is that this new syntax would be "inside info" for anyone playing the game who has not read through the manual about all ships in the game.
i think the angle of approach is wrong. instead of excluding ships from being affected by some effect, the ships themselves should be immune to them. so instead of having ships that can't influence the basic ships, maybe we should add an immunity effect to the basic ships...

Any information about the game is "insider information" when a player doesn't read it. Its up to the player to learn about the mechanics as it is right now, so I dont think this suggestion would make a difference on the complexity of the game, when you compare it to the other mechanics that are REALLY complex and already exist. I feel instead of trying to "dumb" the game down, we should just work more on informing the player about the game's mechanics in a straightforward, simplified way and getting them to actually bother to learn for themselves, the "inside info".

The problem with instead making the basic ships IMMUNE to all effects all together would be what I made reference to in my previous post: it would defeat the purpose of having anything OTHER than basic ships. Nano-Bombers, Cyclopses, Spectres, Interceptors and all the various other ships that ALREADY EXIST wouldn't even effect a simple fighter, etc. There would be no real reason to use anything but basic ships when ALL the other techs already in the game would pose no threat to them. That wouldn't be very fun would it? I don't think that is what this suggestion was intended for.

ncaries wrote:
...don't underestimate the complexity of the game, esp. for new players. complexity isnt a problem if there are some consequent guideline that help you through, but this isnt helping...

...And: to many ships tend to make a battle a lottery...

Then wouldn't the logical thing to do is make those "consequent guidelines"? It wouldn't be that complicated to add a list of ships that do not effect the basic ships in their descriptions. It would still be up to the player to look, the same as it already is with existing ships. A player wouldn't know a Blockade Runner or ANY other ship was immune without looking for themselves either way. In lue of everything else a player has to learn and cram into their brain about ST, I feel the ! syntax would be of little consequence.

Technically, isin't every battle already a lottery in ST? You never know what you're going to face out there and your fleets could already be wholly thwarted by existing ship combos. I am sure ships that would pose a problem to the games balace would still never make it into production, even if the tech-tree is expanded.

"One of God's own rejects. Some sort of high-powered mutant, not even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, but too rare to die."
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject:

i think it would be difficult to put it into a flavour text, to explain, why a spaceship should not affect especially fighters, destroyers, cruisers and motherships.
there is no sound physical explanation for it.

i think the better way is to create ships, that are not overpowered so the basic ships always give you the test, if your invention is sound

another option would be, to give the basic ships some triggers or shields, or such, that make them invulnerable against some sophisticated stuff

and anyway:
ncaries wrote:
The true challange of 'innovation' now lies in a stronger link between the strategical and tactical gameplay.

youre right
 Back to top »
vyor
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject:

this game could be made a WHOLE lot more tactacle...it would ruin the game though......We could add rapid fire to balance them.....say a fighter does extra damage to a cruser a cruser does extra damage to a destroyer and a destroyer does extra damage to a fighter(or something)....
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » ship balance : basic ships
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: