hello im the tarv
Goto page 1, 2  Next

SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Newbie Help » hello im the tarv
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: hello im the tarv

hi im new. trying to figure this game out. finding the newbe section very useful. why cant i actually seem to fight people? I go to planets and nothing happens.
 Back to top »
promethius2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject:

Hi and welcome to the game!
I can't think of any reason why you aren't having battles at the planets you go to unless the players you've attacked are in the same alliance as you?
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject:

i actually started my own alliance to get more battles. not working. is it possible there is just no one there? im not going after pre warp or abandoned planets.
 Back to top »
promethius2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Well, let's say that the enemy you wish to attack is at coordinates 500/500/50

You should build your fleet, go into the "Fleets" page and beneath Fleet 1 and/or Fleet two you should put these coordinates into the boxes.
After moving your ships into your fleets you should then click modify and you will see how long it will take for your fleet to reach the planet.

If, for example it will take 12 hours for the fleet to reach that planet you should sign back in in 12 hours and in your message panel you'll recieve a battle report.

A few things:
You can't fight cloaked planets
You can't fight people in your alliance (usually)

- If you need more help I suggest sending a message in game to the newbie helpers. They're the ones with the gold star next to their names.
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:

i actually have figured that much out. just having problems finding battles. i would like to know more about battle order and the best way to set up a good starter fleet.
 Back to top »
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject:

ya so i found somebody to fight and got my ass handed to me lost probably 80 percent of two fleets. ya it was great. at least i answered one question for myself. you do get your mp back if a ship is destroyed. that made me happy. at least i finally did something in this game even if it was loosing.
 Back to top »
colinthecorgi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Hi Tarv!

I have seen you on my probes

I think I know what your problem might be. Feel free to message me ingame, I am McKie of BuSab.
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Try setting your fleet to attack mode
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Hi Tarv.... Glad to see you took my advice and joined the forum. Also glad you got to battle with someone. As I mentioned, just play to have fun and get the basic concept of the game and don't take your score too serious in your virgin attempt.
As you have just learned, you cannot be "killed" in the game. You just give up score and MP is replaced as you lose it to build new ships with.

There is also a "battle simulator" on one of the pre-warp planets (uninhabited planet) where you can control both your fleet and enemy fleet with regard to the fleet stacks. This allows you to try different combinations of ships and see the results without impact on your "ingame" score.

The simulator is located at
Planet Nanosource: 470/497/46

You don't have to take your whole fleet there...just a couple of ships in orbit will allow you to access the simulator. It takes a little fooling around to get the hang of it but it is fairly easy once you catch on.
 Back to top »
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject:

thanks everyone for the tips. i appreciate it.
 Back to top »
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject:

How do i rebuild my defense array?
 Back to top »
zaphod
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject:

you cannot rebuild it. it´s the only thing you cannot rebuild, i think. but you don´t need it. you can defend yourself very good without having a DA.

it´s a kind of noob protection.
 Back to top »
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject:

oic. the other buildings must rebuild on their own then? the br said they were all lost but they are back now.
 Back to top »
promethius2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

Yes, your Research Center and Shipyard are rebuilt after 24 hours I believe.
 Back to top »
zaphod
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject:

i think the shipyard is back in 12 hours. they reduced the rebuild-time here
 Back to top »
thetarv
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ok friends. i cannot win a battle with the fleet configurations i have tried. i would really like to hear some opinions on how i should set up my fleets. i have no idea how to counter a well set up fleet. everything i try is something the other players have already seen and defended against. i am not asking for your secret winning combination just some insight on how the battle engine works and maybe some noob tips for starter fleets and important research
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Theres no one fleet that destroys everything. You need to analyse what ships your opponents have in order to create an effective fleet to destroy it.

For example a swank fleet is great if your opponent is fighter spamming you however it is not that good under other circumstances.

You need to use ships that compliment each other for example when using cyclopses don't include class 1 ships in your fleet as they will end the turn of your opponents class 1 rendering your cyclopses obsolete.

A much better companion for cyclopses are apollo cruisers to take care of those pesky class 2 ships after your cyclopses have fought the class 1 ships.

Perhaps you could tell us what combinations you have tried allready so we can give you tips.
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject:

You can win in almost any given situation but for that to happen some condition must be met.
First of all is to have a DSP on your target.Second one is to have more then one fleet available,flying around with one fleet is just suicide,trust me.Moving on,you have to be online when battle happens.If your not your opponent will almost certainly be.
Well this are few simple rules you have to follow and you wont lose and If you do you wont lose a lot.I call that calculated loss.
Anyhow next few steps are try to know your opponent(see his on-line times,his fleet setups etc) so you can surprise attack him.Attack him when his asleep its not noble but what the hell wars have been won like that.
And last,fleet setups its not that important what you have but rather how you use it.Even if you would have only 60 cruiser you can do some damage to him(in most cases)and take some points from him or get out with minimal loss.See what class is vulnerable,dig a hole in that class and in wave two strike through that hole.For example If he has low c3,first wave eliminate his c3 and use couple of c1and c2 to block his c1 and c2 then in next wave kill his Ms.Thats just a crude example on one way how its done but if you cant answer and annihilate his hole fleet crippling him will also be enough at least you wont lose your base again.
Or just search this forum for fleet setups there are tons of it.But for more complex fleet to use you have to know how battle system works.
And If your not sure you will win fly away.This way you wont win but your ships will live to fight another day .
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:

type: fleet setup into the search. this is one of the many good links i found.
http://www.spacetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397&highlight=fleet+setup
 Back to top »
colinthecorgi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject:

"You can win in almost any given situation but for that to happen some condition must be met.
First of all is to have a DSP on your target.Second one is to have more then one fleet available,flying around with one fleet is just suicide,trust me.Moving on,you have to be online when battle happens.If your not your opponent will almost certainly be."

This is excellent advice, really excellent.

My companion advice goes like this:
Try to keep 1 DSP 1-3 sectors from your base, so you see any incomings
Try to have a potential target lined up, with a DSP 1-3 sectors from the target. Attacking blind is dangerous.
Try to increase your knowledge of the surrounding space by using one slot for investigation probes. A simple plan is to scan space starting around your base. Try to get a grid with a spacing of 15 or so. Example: your base is at 470/480/49
send IPs to 470/480/64, 470/480/34, 470/495/49, 470/465/49, 485/480/49 and 455/480/49. This will give you a good start at knowing your surroundings and finding targets. Then check the targets race and send a DSP. Study the fleet profiles and ty to guess what might be in the target fleets. Modify or build your own fleet if you feel youreally want to attack this target. Switch target if your stuff seems wrong.
As you get more experienced you will find that in the X/Y/Z coordinates it is unusual with X<460, X>495, Y<470 etc etc, so you can give investigation probes in those areas really low priority. Expand your known space by sending an IP now and then, either to a new location (keep that 15 sector spacing along each axis) or do the first 6 again after 50-60% of your evolution.

Here is a "trick" that I'll hand you for free:
Go to the registration page instead of logging in. Pretend you are registering. Scroll up different starter fleets. Notice their composition.
Now you can guess what some targets actually are using, since many people just leave their starter fleets hanging at their base. DO NOT REGISTER, JUST FOOL AROUND WITH THE STARTER FLEETS. ONLY 1 ACCOUNT ALLOWED!
This trick will give you many points, but beware when facing experienced players (you will figure this out eventually), they can trick you with this

Be Well and Prosper

V
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Newbie Help » hello im the tarv
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: