Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: My new Linux desktop

Do you like it?

T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject:

MJ... I think it's cool. I've never used Linux but I would love to get out from under Bill Gate's thumb
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Ubuntu, Solaris, etc, etc....

Ubuntu 9.04 via Sun Virtual Box w/ Open Solaris host ("SolarUbuntu")....

BTW-Open Solaris absolutely rocks and Sun Virtual Box runs (linux, windows and even a virtual solaris) flawlessly on Sun's own OS
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject:

Lol, well actually my version is not linux at all .

I thought you might notice the windows logo on the 'start' button, I've just changed the background of the desktop, and altered the themes a bit, to make it look like the real thing .

Quote:
There's a saying in Texas.. it's probably Tenessee but I know it's Texas.. ... fool me once.. shame on.. shame on me.. fool me twice.. shame on.. shame on.. ... a fooled man once can't get fooled again..

DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:

LOL I know I can do the counterpart and make linux look like windows xp, vista, or win 7 myself. But emulating microsoft system crashes, endless updating, serial number verification, loss of xp serial validity with a vista install and verification, vulnerability to viruses, corporate greed and etc is still a ways off
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Man oh Man...do I hear you Dave....
My next new system is Mac. I also hate the corporate protectionism that happens. I like XP for the most part but the protectionism just blows me away when I want to put the operating system I purchased on a new computer. Pisses me off actually the way they do business.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject:

yes i have finally got an internet connection on my computer. its suprisingly easy if your running the latest distro. bad points im sharing the dongle with the office pc seens as the dongle in there is broken so i need a new dongle.
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpaceGamer
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject:

Osama of Bin hidden!

You posted your cords!

I thought that was forbidden.

SpaceGamer
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Wow my computer worked the way I wanted it too for a whole day. Got up this morning went to turn on my computer and the monitor isnt working! The orange light just shows it flashes green when I turn the computer on but thats it. Yes I have tried turning it on and off again, unplugging it and plugging it back in. I tried another monitor and that displayed "No signal" when I plugged it in and turned my computer on. So I'm guessing my video card is disconnected or something there was no smoke (and i havent moved my PC since it was working last) but wierdly my keyboard has also stopped working. The lights flash when I turn it on however when I press caps lock or scroll lock or number lock the lights do not come on. Either way I'm going to have to operate or replace.
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpaceGamer
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi mjx1,

Is your monitor a flat screen? One morning my flat screen would not turn on. bang head I kept trying it several times.

Once I calmed dowm I turned the computer off I unplugged the monitor from the wall and computer. Then reconnected everything and it started working again.

It was strange and has not given me any trouble since then.

SpaceGamer
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Hey Spacegamer no I'm using an old bulky monitor they work better and last longer regardless of what people say about space and quality and whatever and have tried another monitor with no results and have even plugged in the monitors to another computer and it worked its my graphics card.
Opened up my computer today and found that there is no graphics card. It's one of these stupid ones which are built into the CPU making it impossible to replace. I've got a replacement computer now and fitted my old memory card into it to give it some more memory. Pathetically I have two memory cards now and my total ram is 391mb and its worse than that too my old computer had a pentium 4 processor this has pentium 3 and i dont know anything about changing processers anyway it'll take me a couple of days to get the horrible windows 2000 NT pro or whatever it is off and put my shiny new Ubuntu 9.04 back on and connect it to the internet but expect me to be lurking more often in a couple of days.

Last edited by mjx1 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Star Commander
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject:

Point out firstly ; Not memory cards Its RAM ! and try doing a me Linux, Windows Vista and FreeBSD all booting off the same PC.

- I suppose I used VISTA mainly though for computer gaming and stuff like that, but Linux is cool if you want to boot into something quick and sharpish and know the only way it will crash is if you have a power cut! FreeBSD is on there for the fun of it
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm loving Rythmbox for my Ipod usage
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Off topic » My new Linux desktop

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: