Register
Reverse engineering
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Reverse engineering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reverse engineering

This isn't a suggestion just yet, because I wonder what other people think, but the concept goes like this.

Let's say I'm a mycilloid, and I go to a pre-warp planet, and find, say, a kamikaze.

Human technology that I can't research, or build, but can use, if I find it.

But every company that exists makes a practise of taking apart things to see how they are made, and maybe using the same techniques, or improving on them.

So shouldn't I have the ability to find a ship, take it back to my homeworld, and let my scientists and engineers take it apart, and figure it out?

If it were a kamikaze, like this example, it might use technologies and techniques my planet isn't used to using, but I could at least get the basics of it.

I would like the ability to build ships I find. Maybe, if I find a ship, I would have to recycle it, and then I'd be able to research that ship, even if it's not from a race I normally can.

And maybe it would take longer to research, and build, and maybe cost more than it normally would, but some combos are great, apart from being impossible to build, due to race restrictions.

Also, this would put more weight behind exploration, and using the archaeology probes. More people would want to explore, and try to find certain ships, and alliances could be on the lookout for certain ships, if one member wanted them, to try something.

It seems like this is a neglected area of the game, because even if you find a ship that works well, there is usually only one of them, so your fleet won't get the best use out of it.

If you could make the ships you find, that would make this area more important.

Downside is that enemies would be even less predictable. Mycilloids usually don't have evaporators, and if they do, you know they don't have many. If they could make them, it would throw off some strategies pretty well. But you could do the same, so it might balance out.

And the people who did this wouldn't have too great an advantage over those who didn't, because of the extra costs involved. But it could make a difference, if used well. Just like everything else about this game.

Good? Bad? Would you want this? Not want?

Jean Rostand 1894-1977
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Reverse engineering
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: