0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

tec_server
Technology Bot
Technology Bot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: streak probe

streak probe

the streak probe drops transmitters behind it as it heads towards its target. these transmitters relay their findings to the probe, which sends all the information back to base. in this way the probe scans a line one sector wide from base to the probe´s target coords.

scanradius: 1

speed: transwarp 15

researchtime: 1 d
buildingtime: 10 h

kazuuula-technology
needed research:
improved computer technology
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject:

as the inventor of the streak probe, i would like to make it a reality. so if anyone thinks they have changes that could make it more realistic, please post them. maybe there should be a maximum distance that the probe can go? let me know
 Back to top »
Jack09
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject:

its a good idea, maybe a few changes, like slow the transwarp down, cause it is really fast, but all in all i like it, been waiting for this actually. and since its like this, yes i think it would be a good idea to make it so it could only go so long, i dont think anybody wants a probe discovering everything from one side of the galaxy to the other. and it shouldn't be race limited, everyone should be ablr to use it.
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject:

about the race, i tried to submit it w/o race, but it wouldn't let me. it said i had to choose a race before i submitted. @jack09 i agree with you, it shouldn't be race limited.
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:

Jack09 wrote:
i dont think anybody wants a probe discovering everything from one side of the galaxy to the other.

just some fun facts, i did the math and this is how long it would take for you to travel from 000/000/00 to 999/999/99 with different warp speeds:

warp 1: 147 d 12 h 39 m
warp 2: 73 d 18 h 19 m
warp 5: 29 d 12 h 7 m
warp 10: 14 d 18 h 3 m
transwarp 15: 9 d 20 h 2 m
transwarp 20: 7 d 9 h 1 m
transwarp 50: 2 d 22 h 48 m
transwarp 99: 1 d 11 h 45 m
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:

If this probe does what I think it's inventor is trying to do, it's definitely worthy of discussion.

If I read it right (through sleep bleary eyes) the intent is to launch a probe to random co-ords and the probe will pick up any inhabited planets it passes directly over.

I think, due to the relative overall lack of players in the game, finding real bases can be a small problem in some cases.
I just re-evo'ed into what seems a very remote part of the galaxy.
There are no active players on my seti scan and I have not had a hyper-drop warning in over a week meaning there is not too many players flying over.

A probe that gives a very narrow window to look through but records inhabited planets as it passes directly over them would not unbalance the game but actually help enhance gameplay.

It could work much like the eye-in-the-sky but record when the player is off line and send back the results to base.
It this possible to even do with the current game code ?

Someone please dissuade me why this is not reasonable.
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject:

i think he intended it to give dsp data on this line. but i might be wrong.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject:

i think its suppose to work like a an investigation probe but instead of just staying put it can move around and any planets it passes is added to your com list so for example if your coordinates are 000/000/00 if you sent it o 999/999/99 it would travel from point a to point be picking up all planets in between and adding it to your com list

i like it i never really like the investigation prove cos you send it someone then destroy then send it somewhere else then destroy it again and it seemed to take forever to be able to find any decent planets but with this you can send it down a straight line and itll pick all planets up in between
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:

i was going for what mjx1 had in mind. I think you would send it out from your base to a point in the galaxy. Once it got there, it would send you the same info an investigation probe would, but instead of the info coming from around the destination, it would come from an area one sector in radius along the probe's flight path. This is almost what T2 was thinking of, except it would be nice if it had destination coords (no repeats)

to prevent it from doing what mjx1 suggested and sending it from 000/000/00 to 999/999/99, i could put a distance limit on it (any ideas here? 100 sectors? 200?). Also, your base would have to be a 000/000/00 or 999/999/99 to do it .I think we could also use this limit to find a speed apropriate for the probe. Personally, I think warp 10 is too slow because the point of this probe is to have a long flight path. Maybe transwarp 15 is too fast (any suggestions would be appreciated here too).

After I get some more feedback on limits, speeds... i will post a modified streak probe and then we can go from there. Thanks for everyone's input
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject:

just a quick question: how long does it take for an approved tech to be added to the game?
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: streak probe

tec_server wrote:
streak probe

the streak probe drops transmitters behind it as it heads towards its target. these transmitters relay their findings to the probe, which sends all the information back to base once it reaches its target. in this way the probe scans a line one sector in radius from base to the probe´s target coords. retrieves the same information as an investigation probe. because it has to carry the transmitters, the streak probe doesn't have as much propellant as other probes and is can only travel 100 sectors.

scanradius: 1

speed: warp 10

researchtime: 1 d
buildingtime: 8 h

needed research:
improved computer technology

thought i would do some revisions and hope it resparked interest in this probe.
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:

i did the math and it turns out that if the streak probe has a scan radius of 3.65 (could be rounded to a whole #) and a range of 100 sectors it would scan the same volume of space as an investigation probe. give it warp 10 and it would be just another option for users instead of the investigation probe. everyone could have their preference on which probe they like. it could be strategically used potentially to find targets or fleet destinations (example: you are informed of a fleet passing overhead from a player whose coords you know. assuming it is coming from that player's base, you send out a streak probe in the opposite direction from that player's base, and find where it is going. useful finding planets or tracking a fleet)

i would really like to make this a reality, so if you are interested say so and give this probe some support!
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject:

so admin, what do you think about a new kind of probe for spacetrace?
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject:

sorry to drag this up once again, but i really like this invention...its kinda like my ST-probe-baby. i want this to have the same capabilities as an investigation probe, but just to be another option/strategic probe. here are radius – scan length measurements that give it the same scan volume as an investigation probe:

R 1 – L 1333.33
R 2 – L 333.33
R 3 – L 148.15
R 4 – L 83.33
R 5 – L 53.33

research time: 8h
build time: 4h

BTW it will scan like an investigation, not like a dsp or tracer or whatever else

if this idea catches on i think it would be cool to make a family of these things, like there is the investigation probe, wide-range scan probe and scout probe. we could give it its own research....or not

and it needs a new picture. this one looks like an old scuba helmet with horns

@ ADMIN it would be nice to know if this is even programmable[/code]
 Back to top »
Inatic
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject:

this looks very usable
i like it.
 Back to top »
Jack09
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject:

So as this thing goes along it picks up all the planets that comes in its war from point A to point B?
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject:

ya its scan area is a cylinder from your base to a point out in space instead of a sphere around the destination point. all of the scan info would be sent to you once it reaches its destination, not as i goes along
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject:

this sounds easy to program, it is just another scan to be programmed. instead of a sphere it would be a cylinder.

we will think about it
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject:

thanks admin
 Back to top »
dumenop
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: streak probe

streak probe

the streak probe drops transmitters behind it as it heads towards its target. these transmitters relay their findings to the probe, which sends all the information back to base once it reaches its target. in this way the probe scans a cylinder for planets from base to the probe´s target coords. because it has to carry the transmitters, the streak probe doesn't have as much propellant as other probes and is can only travel 150 sectors.

scanradius: 3

researchtime: 12 h
buildingtime: 4 h

needed research:
linear scanning
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Possible new Technologies » streak probe
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: