Needs Improving
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

kandos-
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Custom ship research

Now, everyone knows that the way things currently work, with having a limited tech tree, and limited basic research is very unrealistic.

So i thought, how about custom ship research?

so you research a researh centre, then you spend, manpower, points, and time, in a carefully calculated wresting game stlye attribute setup, i.e you convert points into life and attack and special abilities. and you dedicate manpower to your research division.

then like normal scientists they spend time researching the ship. the better the ship being researched, the longer it takes and the more points/manpower it uses.

I think this would add a new customisable dimension to the game, making for even more fleet and ship combinations.

this could also lead to military espionage, stealing plans for ships other players have researched.

I like the dea what do pople think??

greez
Martinti

palfor
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

how do you mean?
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand it.
zenachi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject:

What he means... is you can spend time researching, say, an "experimental" centre or something.

Then instead of researching already pre-made ships, you can customize your own, using your new experimental centre.

Example:
You're Human, and you're having trouble with killing C1 since your enemy is constantly using evaporators against your dreadnoughts/spectres. You decide to create and "customize" a new ship.
You pay 1000 points for the development of a new, basic 1/1 C1 ship. Then you pay an additional 1000 points (or whatever) for the addition of other features, which also increases the manpower cost. The idea on the manpower cost would probably be an increase for the addition of a positive feature (e.g. destroys X number of ships) and a decrease with the addition of a negative feature (e.g. self-destructs).
You end up creating the "Needler," a 5mp costing C1 based ship with 0/1 and has the special ability of dealing 1 damage to 5 enemy ships and 2 own ships, as well as self-destructing. (Or something like that)

While I do think this would be a great idea... it won't work, because of the unbalance. The only way to make this happen is to have a set manpower cost for every "feature" you place on a ship, and the only way to make sure the ship won't be too powerful, is to make sure the set manpower cost is higher than you would like.

Of course, there could still be exploits of a system like that, where you could create, again, the "Needler." This time, however, you realize that you get the decrease in manpower even if the negative effects don't hurt you that much.
So the "Needler" is created, this time with 1mp, 0/10, destroys 10 enemy C1 ships, and destroys 10 own C2 ships. Which doesn't matter, since you're not going in with a single dummy destroyer.

See the problem? Something like this requires a lot of work... testing, programming, bug fixes, and the unbalance.
That's why we have the current system, so the community can vote on the balance of a suggested ship.
 Back to top »
RenéeAB
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject:

zenachi wrote:
Example:
You're Human, and you're having trouble with killing C1 since your enemy is constantly using evaporators against your dreadnoughts/spectres. You decide to create and "customize" a new ship.
See the problem? Something like this requires a lot of work... testing, programming, bug fixes, and the unbalance.
That's why we have the current system, so the community can vote on the balance of a suggested ship.

Also the effectiveness of this would be relative to experience and knowledge of ST. Noobs have major problems dealing with my stacks already. No need to make that impossible
BTW-if you are human and must do 5.5 d research for those effective nano-bombers (from carriers) and find a huge c1 spam you cant kill, then kill the c3 then the c4, sit on the stranded fleet and start that carrier research (and core driver to deal the knockout blow as you dont want to rush it and take too little time)

REM - Pop Song 89
 Back to top »
kandos-
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject:

i see your point zenachi,

but how about instead of any ship, you have like a mother ship.

Your own ship that your command (you) fly around in, which you can customize. Say you have a certain amount of manpower on your ship that you can delegate to defence/attack/special abilities. That way everyone has the same amount of set manpower to play around in.

e.g.

I call my mother ship "The Viking". I have 100 mp to play around with.
i put 50 on defence,
30 on attack,
and 20 on engines.

say for every man on defence, the ship gains 10 defence, every man on attack, the ship gains 5 attack, and every man on engine, and extra .1 of a warp, so
"The Viking" would be 250/1300 (note defence is in addition to whats already on a mother ship) with warp 7

restrictions:
you can only have ONE of these ships in all your fleets.
only 100 manpower available total.

options:
you can put manpower on:

• attack
  • defence
  • engines
  • repair
  • sensors
  • fighter crews (makes others ships in fleet better)
  • special abilities (N.B. cost alot of manpower)
  • any other ideas?

you can also change it's name

how about this???
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Custom ship research
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: