Register
eta times are not accurate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » old topics » eta times are not accurate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: eta times are not accurate

im sure im not the only one suffering from eta inaccuracy.
if i eta on someone then usually after the timer reaches 0, it starts over from 20-30 seconds and does that many times over. its very annoying when i want to target someone directly instead of hyperdroping.
could it be caused by refreshing the probes screen because i do that frequently before an attack.

maybe this has been discussed before. don\t remember.
 Back to top »
Connor McCloud
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

Yes , Senor the more you refresh fleet-screen or DSP-screen , the longer it takes for your fleet to arrive , this happend to me many times also . Don't know if this can be fixed but would like it to be

Back to top »
linux666
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject:

well, to me happens a lot, and i don't refresh neither the dsp or flt screen when i'm attacking directly.... some times, when i go to a prewarp to get a ship, or even returning to base it also happens. it's just a few more seconds of anxiety
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:

it doesn't really matter when you are attacking someone who's offline or not likely to change anything in his/her setup, but it's a totally different story between very experienced players who are both online. then the reaction speed and timing are the key to victory. of course it's not a very smart idea to eta on an experienced player anyway since hyperdropping is way more effective and gives better control and safety in cases like that.
but still, this "bug" needs to be fixed.
 Back to top »
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:

The 'e' in ETA does stand for estimated, not exact.
Just think of it as a realistic touch. Anytime a group of ships head somewhere, at least one of them will always lag behind. (I'm former Navy, and was always having to wait for someone)

Anyway, if you know how to solve this problem, by doing a flyby and not sending your second fleet to attack, until your first fleet has hit, then you're good to go.

If your enemy doesn't know how to do that, and runs the risk of screwing up the attack, then no complaints.

Use any advantage you can find, even if it's with the physics of the game.
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:

realistic touch my anus, it doesn't give an estimated time of arrival, it lies in your face.
the eta system doesn't work as it is designed to work, it has a bug. the fact that it has been around for a long time and can be bypassed by hyperdropping or used for ones advantage by experienced players does not make it ok. if it can be fixed it should be done. if it can't be done then put it in the manual alongside with a tutorial on how to make a hyperdrop.
 Back to top »
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I have had this too and without refreshing the hole time. Just watching and counting down and then it 'refreshis' and the battle reports should appear but then it goes back to 20 seconds and after that I got the battle reports, happend the last few times to me.

X: The "Warriors of the Fallen Star" era

4. SpaceTrooper of Upenix score 16239 relative 16226
 Back to top »
Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Even if countdown goes back 20 sec battle all ready took place.All you have do is next.After target hit change direction ASAP and after that BR shows(sometimes not and you have to look for them in BR menu)and fleet menu refreshes by itself.
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this issue can be fixed. Like with sending two fleets to the same location, at the same time, but they somehow drift apart. So game added the synch fleets thing. That's not in the manual, and it's pretty hard to line the fleets up close enough to get the synch option to appear.

So something in the timers is just off a little bit.

So I agree with senor, in the sense that everyone playing should be told about this, at some point.

Make a note in the manual (but how many newbies ever read that?) that they have to be careful, because sometimes the timer isn't quite exact.
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Failtrip1 wrote:
Even if countdown goes back 20 sec battle all ready took place.All you have do is next.After target hit change direction ASAP and after that BR shows(sometimes not and you have to look for them in BR menu)and fleet menu refreshes by itself.

not true. last time i attacked BM the counter went zero, then started again from 20, went zero again and started from 20 again. then i changed direction because it was getting really frustrating and no battle happened. my fleets just hadn't arrived yet although the counter went to zero 3 times.
 Back to top »
zaphod
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject:

i bet it´s a bug, but i like the idea of "realistic touch".
btw: i had that very often. maybe i refresh my dsp to often...
 Back to top »
Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Senor wrote:
Failtrip1 wrote:

not true. last time i attacked BM the counter went zero, then started again from 20, went zero again and started from 20 again. then i changed direction because it was getting really frustrating and no battle happened. my fleets just hadn't arrived yet although the counter went to zero 3 times.

LOL then I guess my ST works diffirent then yours... Try it the way I described,maybe it wont show you BRs but battle will happen 99% sure.
I know what you guys are talking about,i play the same game but I use this lill trick to go around bug.
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

This thing does need to fixing, I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't make the fly over thing so I wen't in eta for 3 minutes, it took me far longer then that. I tried watching the eta, going there when it was over and for maybe 5 times it reset! I'm flaming mad like that emoticon right now.

Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I hate it too.... especially when playing "bounce" with someone. I've lost many times due to uncertainty where enemy fleets are and old data ( "old" being a few seconds).
It really steams me when I think I have someone right in the "crosshair" only to find that's where they were 30-60 seconds beforehand.
 Back to top »
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Isn't it easy to just somehow hook it up to clock or something that is not completely connected to everything so there is no prob with having a look at your probes and fleets?

Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:

dont keep refreshing simple it does come in handy though if you need some extra time to mobilize. please give me about an hour or two to edit my post im very drunk right now
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject:

What did you want to say MJX1? Cause in my cause the eta systeme slowing me down is a down points, and it was for sure last time. Yes more reason to use fly over but what about the new players that can't yet? It's very very annoying, realy annoying and they will have to deal with it and maybe experienced players too if like me yu oneday must eta.

Back to top »
RenéeAB
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Many times I approach a score planet with a pile of players parked on it and one (with a dsp) logged on monitoring my approach. He will be clicking that damned probes button every 5 seconds or so, which produces, for me, that infamous "last .01 freeze" while the others are free to log on, modify stacks (to the dsp readings of my fleets and such) so---- in the last few seconds of eta---I LOG OFF---and my fleets no longer respond to that---and log back on after the time has obviously expired

REM - Pop Song 89
 Back to top »
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I tried logging of too, it didn't work for me.

Back to top »
RenéeAB
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:

al12 wrote:
I tried logging of too, it didn't work for me.

Hmm guess it is time for an admin fix?

in the meantime, also try wearing that person down with passovers every 30 seconds for the next 4 hours

REM - Pop Song 89
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » old topics » eta times are not accurate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: