Battle Simulator
Goto page 1, 2  Next
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Battle Simulator
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Battle Simulator

Could a battle simulator somehow be incorporated into the game ?

Some place that mock-up fleet combo's can be experimented with ?

Someplace where the enemies potential fleet could be analyzed.

A place where a new people could practice without affecting thier score and familiarize themselves with different species fleet set-ups ? No need for a training account then by some multi's

A place to spend time while on route to enemies fleet trying out possible scenarios?

What would it take to impliment something like this? I would guess the major work has been completed with the initial game programming but I know nothing about that aspect of the work involved.

It's been talked about at different times in different threads but as afterthouights. I think the idea deserves it's own post / thread.

Is it at least worth talking about?

Back to top »
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:

The guest access is about that but its not really a perfect simulation, I think its worth talking about. It shouldnt be too hard, just a group of planets, who is a alliance, two other alliances, etc.

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject:

i dont like this idea i mean think about it a person could check every single fleet he sees on his dsp too see if he can beat it loosing would become a thing of the past
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

mjx1 wrote:
i dont like this idea i mean think about it a person could check every single fleet he sees on his dsp too see if he can beat it loosing would become a thing of the past

LOL...I don't think it would work the way you outline Lowvoice.

For every battle there would be a winner and loser obviously. The "skill factor" may narrow between experienced players and new players but is that a bad thing?
The competition would certainly become more intense for veterans increasing thier ummm...interest in the game rather than getting bored with a steady string of wins and also provide encouragement to new players who get discouraged with a steady string of losses.

It would help players understand easier the way different ships function.

Don't forget, you would not know what is in an enemy's fleet. The opposing fleet could still be filled with surprises you never considered or tried in the simulator. The fleet combinations available certainly does not make a battle simulator a sure thing for wins.

I opened this forum topic to see other players views on this idea and get additional input to the pros and cons of a simulator.
I am having problems in seeing the down side of such a tool so far.
 Back to top »
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject:

You cant see what ships a person has, just what class it is, he can have any ship, so you cnat check how to win. And randomization makes sure you wont always win.

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

we programmed a battle simulator already, but is hasn't been finished yet. but soon .
 Back to top »
Jort
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Great! Why are you admins now suddenly so active?

But keep up the good work!!!!
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:

yes i believe the idea first cropped up here http://www.spacetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=484&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=battle+simulator&start=0
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject:

Jort wrote:

Great! Why are you admins now suddenly so active?

But keep up the good work!!!!

the battle simulator is an older project...

anyway, spacetrace is still the coolest projects we made, and we love it, but sometime we need a pause (but we have always an eye on the game ).

we try to make it as stable and bug free as possible, because spacetrace should be a long term project which shall run for decades. but for creativity we need some breaks...

thx for your patience ...

... at the time we are preparing the new round modus... that needs some attention

ps. age of spacetrace is already around 5 years. ( first post 05 Dec 2001 ) ... so lets hope for another 5
 Back to top »
Spyder
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject:

Good to see you back ol buddy, been surfin a little bit??

(Temporarily out of business)

Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

haha , sure ... 28.4 degrees F(-2°C), snow storm , 7 - 8 Bft. wind ... i have evidence and fotos
but it is a bad winter , no wind...

i am always playing and have an acount, but there is sometimes other stuff to do...

sorry this isn'T the right playe i know... so.

after we finished the round thing and fixing some bugs we will make the battle simultor
 Back to top »
Anon De Mouse
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

spacetrace wrote:
haha , sure ... 28.4 degrees F(-2°C), snow storm , 7 - 8 Bft. wind ... i have evidence and fotos
but it is a bad winter , no wind...

i am always playing and have an acount, but there is sometimes other stuff to do...

sorry this isn'T the right playe i know... so.

after we finished the round thing and fixing some bugs we will make the battle simultor

whats your planet name and what alliance are you in

just as long as you dont *** out like you did against TO

Back to top »
kandos-
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

right before we jump into this whole battler simulator thingy we need to adress some key issues about it, for example....

1. Do you only get ships in the battle simulator when and if you research them in-game?
  2. Are there going to be special battle simulator researches?
  3. Is the simulator going to be human fleet vs. different human fleet or human fleet vs. computer fleet or human fleet vs. computer fleet chosen by same human?
  4. If it is going to be human fleet vs. different human fleet then instaed of calling it a "battle simulator" you should call it a "space arena", and if you are going to do that then it opens the door for hundereds of new researches and ships specificaly for the space arena simulator thingy.
  5. Do you have to be online to fight battles in the simulator?
  6. Will the battles be instant? or will it be just a really small section of space so travel time is really short?
  7. Will the ships take time to bulid?
  8. If it is going to be human vs. human then some sort of in-game forum thingy will be needed so people can see who is online or not.

these are just a couple things that need adressing, reply back with numbers like this:

This is whant i think are the answers to the above questions.

1. Yes, you have to research the ship before you can try it in the simulator.
  2. Yes, i think there should be.
  3. human fleet vs. human fleet i think...
  4. "space arena" sounds good and more research only for simulator would be good.
  5. Yes
  6. Instant
  7. No
  8. forum is a good idea.

reply back with what you think of these questions.

greetz
martini

spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

kandos- wrote:
right before we jump into this whole battler simulator thingy we need to adress some key issues about it, for example....

1. Do you only get ships in the battle simulator when and if you research them in-game?
    no
  2. Are there going to be special battle simulator researches?
    yes
  3. Is the simulator going to be human fleet vs. different human fleet or human fleet vs. computer fleet or human fleet vs. computer fleet chosen by same human?
    human vs. computer
  4. If it is going to be human fleet vs. different human fleet then instaed of calling it a "battle simulator" you should call it a "space arena", and if you are going to do that then it opens the door for hundereds of new researches and ships specificaly for the space arena simulator thingy.
    no , the arena is the galaxy
  5. Do you have to be online to fight battles in the simulator?
    yeah
  6. Will the battles be instant? or will it be just a really small section of space so travel time is really short?
    instant
  7. Will the ships take time to bulid?
    like no time
  8. If it is going to be human vs. human then some sort of in-game forum thingy will be needed so people can see who is online or not.
    no

Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I think the battle simulator would be a very nice addition to the game and I'm happy it is under construction. Thanks Spacetrace.

Not an elaborate simulator but something along the lines of the TTC.

Plug in your ships and plug in the opposition ships then press "go" or "fight".
See the results and reconfigure and do it again if required.

At first, I thought, just ships native to a species should be allowed but then it excludes almost all the ships available on prewarps.
Being able to add a surprise ship not normally found within a species adds a nice element and would encourage more use of prewarp stored ships.

This feature, I can see, will help new players decide if they like the game.
It will allow much faster learning curve for new guys and ultimately cut down on the drop-out factor that ST experiences from players saying
" these battles make no sense. I'm out of here"
 Back to top »
kandos-
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject:

thanks for clarifying that spacetrace...

I am really glad that the battle simulator is under construction and it will definatley add to the game.

BRING IT ON!!! hehe
Ranirfac
Midshipman

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Simulator

A simulator would help the newbies out a lot. And I need the help! At first I didn't understand the syntaxes, but as I played the game I started to understand more.

At least the simulator would help understand the syntaxes better. Any help from a simulator is greatly appreciated.
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject:

i have another idea, the easyest way would be to create a parallel spacetrace world with a different database. where your score doesent count and the flight time is really fast (just some seconds) you can register there for the battle arena like in the real game. but there will be no multi-hunting
you can start two accounts there and bookmark the login-link in your favorites, so you can easily switch between the two accounts.
lets call it arena.spacetrace.org

what do you think?
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject:

sounds good to me but if you type in arena.spacetrace.org you get sent to the irc (why did i try anyway?) i guess you dont respawn in this parallel universe either am i correct? well i guess theres no rounds in this parallele universe is what i mean to say
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Anything at all Admin would be an improvment. I am a believer of the K.I.S.S. principle and if a parallel universe is easiest, by all means go for it.

I thought the existing battle engine could be used and a new screen in your H.Q. page could be configured to do the ship i/p's for team A and team B.

As I think about it though I suppose it would be considerable more work to slide such a feature into the existing game rather than just starting over with a parallel system with new rules.

However it's done...I look forward to it's inclusion as do many newer players I believe.

Perhaps it can even teach the "old" guys some new tricks.

Yipee !!!.....soon I can experiment with ships I may want to research without having to actually research them and burn valuable research time in the real game.
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Battle Simulator
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: