SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Newbie Help » CONEJO's Journey on SpaceTrace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject:

T2 wrote:
Quote:
I will be honest and come out and say that I didnt originally expect to enjoy this game at all. When I found out that you really cant EXPAND I thought that was a limitation I could not live with. I would be completely O.K. with being able to conquer worlds, but remain the same MP nonetheless, its just the conquering part I am drawn to: not so much the rewards. But I have moved past this limitation and pushed myself to remain active and interested.

You will find this game differ's in that more time on the keyboard does not translate to bigger armies and greater conquest. It's more like chess where each player has a set limit of manpower and how you use it depends on win or loss. A head game for sure as opposed to more time spent on the keyboard = bigger = better.

The fact that a player cannot be killed is not really a determent, it's an asset. You don't have to worry about being beaten or killed by a bigger army but you can put someone out of action if you choose by not allowing them to research new tech or build ships by destroying thier production facilities and "sitting" on thier base and destroying thier attempts at rebuilding.
It took me a little over an Evo ( 3 months) to become interested to a point where I enjoy the game considerably more than when I first started.

I now say I am glad I persevered and got through the training period. Each Evo is a little more enjoyable for me as I know a little more about the ships I am trying to use

True words my friend, true words.

Well Conejo,(do you have another name? i speak spanish and its really weird call you "conejo) we are also giving you the information of why we are proud of being ST members.

1- Yes they will constatly giving you the "exact" data of the fleets in those 5 sectors if you keep it. The data will disapear after you destroy the probe.
2- If you dont found data, the coords where you sended the DSP may be wrong or the player that supously is there has no buildings at his base, wich means that has been mometainly destroyed
3- I am 16 years old( i had 15 the 24 January) and i understand the game almost completly. As me, there are other ppl under 20 years like kame and Rob etc.(top players) So you dont need to be at the University or studying Ingeneer (relation to PC) to know how the game works.
As i have time i will extend this post, excuse me if you take too much in read it.
I began to play when i was 12, i had a Windows 95 PC and just a weeks before i had internet, so i was excited about it. A friend told me about the game, so i started to play, as you can see it was my first game ever relation to the internet; maybe thats way i can leave the game and keep playing anothers etc...Of course i was a noob for some months, i am multiing, i didnt know how was I getting pts, etc. But i understand the game a little more after a few weeks without using the forum and ether by friend's help, just playing.
Then i saw many games with more than 500.000 players on the web similars to ST and i realized that i understood ST(wich is more difficult) because it was my first game and i didnt have a pre-concept of it.
So you have to forget everything about other games;).
Ohh an BTW, my friend always told me he didnt like forums, after i join the forum, even insulting, (¿spamming?) asking noob questions i understood a lot more the game. Just by replies and reading previous posts.
If you are just starting and you are already at the forum congratulations:D
4- Of course the first different is that ST is web browser and you dont have to download it etc.
5- An important difference. Commounly those other games are determinated by turns, this is REAL TIME. In both you have to be very active, but you can miss turns and you have to know how to use them etc, also if you join later than the others you dont get the top(where are just multies or big alliance), of course i am just saying bad things, but well, also you have 400k more players there.
Remember REAL TIME is that you take certain min or hours to get in a place etc. This time is determinated by the game but has a totally incredible basement(dont know hot to say it...incredible explanation, so).
If you cheack at the online game directorys of MERE strategy you wont find so many games in real time.
6- This is a free game(for what i know, similiar to planetarion but we have changed it) where you CANT USE the money even to having features. You just support the game and buy items to indetify with.(A thing in wich i am the best player and i havent bought anything, jeje)
7- Is text based, not a single graphic and too much time to download. Your battles are just a calculation and everything is given by text.
8- You can run it at every operative system
9- I will be honest too, maybe a year ago was when i look similiar games. If you remember this is just strategy and not Role play game. So if i am not wrong i look at the directory of online games and not even 1 game was as SpaceTrace. Maybe a few similars but on most of them you had to pay. It could say us that the game is bad or that is not that famous, but it tell us that is unic.
10- You can not expand the game. Why? Think about a player that attacks you with more mp, or that can attack you faster because he has more buildings.(The bad side is that you could be asimilated by 1 alliance if they want, cuz not everybody fills in an alliance, but it almost never happened) If you refer to prewarp planets, you could "conquer" them and change their names a while ago. If you refer to sitting on enemy's planet i think it wont be good and just for the record you can change the position of your planet to one of those pre warp planets
11- I hope you get a long time in the game too
12- As T2 said it tooks some time to become interested at the game.
13- You will be always glad if you stay because you would be part of a unic game
14- How to play SpaceTrace(ST)? Tutorial by Rubens
First, to be a really good player(Refering to the score) you should know that you have to be really active at the game. Even if it takes some hours to get another player, be online helps a lot to know how you will attack him and whats around you.
You should at least understand how the fleets are moving to everywhere. How they move in coords of a max of 3 numbers in the axis. X/Y/Z
Understading how the works the conflict timer and the random on the battles and the fleets vs fleet etc
And the most important thing. Understand the battle syntax!!!!!!! of each ship and practicing how they works on the battle in wich you have also to understand how work them. The subbattles the syntax of wich ship hits first etc.

Hope you read it all and you understand something or at least make you more doubts that we can answer you.

I say good bye.
Rubens Arizmendi, another post where i become proud of my self and happy to be a member of the SpaceTrace family.
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

rubens wrote:
1- Yes they will constatly giving you the "exact" data of the fleets in those 5 sectors if you keep it. The data will disapear after you destroy the probe.

Thanks, so I can leave it there and get infinite scans from now on then, and does the other person KNOW they are being watched?

I promise I will reply to the rest later, its just late and I have some homework

Last edited by Conejo on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

Rubens wrote:

True words my friend, true words.

Well Conejo,(do you have another name? i speak spanish and its really weird call you "conejo) we are also giving you the information of why we are proud of being ST members.

Well I suppose you can call me Derek, although the reason I picked Conejo was BECAUSE of the Spanish meaning. I lived with an El Salvadorian family my last year of high school, and one of my friend's uncles couldnt say my name in english (cuz he couldnt speak it) and so he asked me what I would rather be called, I told him call me a Rabbit (thats my Halo2 tag) and it stuck, he laughed and called me "Conejo Blanco" ever since its been my new name.

Rubens wrote:

3- I am 16 years old( i had 15 the 24 January) and i understand the game almost completly. As me, there are other ppl under 20 years like kame and Rob etc.(top players) So you dont need to be at the University or studying Ingeneer (relation to PC) to know how the game works.
As i have time i will extend this post, excuse me if you take too much in read it.
I began to play when i was 12, i had a Windows 95 PC and just a weeks before i had internet, so i was excited about it. A friend told me about the game, so i started to play, as you can see it was my first game ever relation to the internet; maybe thats way i can leave the game and keep playing anothers etc...Of course i was a noob for some months, i am multiing, i didnt know how was I getting pts, etc. But i understand the game a little more after a few weeks without using the forum and ether by friend's help, just playing.

Wow. Thats quite the story, and I didnt mind reading it at all. I suppose then that we will become good partners here at ST if I stay onboard.

Rubens wrote:
Then i saw many games with more than 500.000 players on the web similars to ST and i realized that i understood ST(wich is more difficult) because it was my first game and i didnt have a pre-concept of it.
So you have to forget everything about other games;).

Yea, I have just about done that at this point. I think the ST is just a totally different playing field (which I AM enjoying). I found only two types of FREE STRATEGY GAMES: 1) is the ultra simplified game of 'win these lands' and thats about the extent of the thought involved. And then there was group 2) which wound up being games that would make my head spin from all the different aspects: resources (have to have at least EIGHT each), mines (which do... MINING) and planets (which.. huh..) and then fleet combinations and starship combinations that are just WAY too complicated for my taste. I love designing things, dont get me wrong, but when I am working 5 hrs on building a fleet and then dont get much in return other than having my eyes bleed over all the different types of resources I have to juggle.. no thanks. So my choice was the UBER EASY/SIMPLE or the UBER DIFFICULT/COMPLICATED. There just wasnt anything in between. And to be honest, I do think that SpaceTrace LEANS toward the overly simple, but I can see the merit in it as well, and it certainly has infinately more THINKING involved than the others I have seen on this end of the spectrum.

Rubens wrote:
Ohh an BTW, my friend always told me he didnt like forums, after i join the forum, even insulting, (¿spamming?) asking noob questions i understood a lot more the game. Just by replies and reading previous posts.
If you are just starting and you are already at the forum congratulations:D

Thank you, I am just starting and I already am starting up on the forum because I learned that forums can help more than any book. (Apolyton for Civilization 3 taught me that very beautiful lesson)

Rubens wrote:
4- Of course the first different is that ST is web browser and you dont have to download it etc.
5- An important difference. Commounly those other games are determinated by turns, this is REAL TIME. In both you have to be very active, but you can miss turns and you have to know how to use them etc, also if you join later than the others you dont get the top(where are just multies or big alliance), of course i am just saying bad things, but well, also you have 400k more players there.

I do greatly like the REAL TIME aspect of ST much more than the Turn-based. But to be fair, Civilization was one of my most beloved games, and that was turn-based. So I feel like I could do either, its just which is done better by the makers.

Rubens wrote:
Remember REAL TIME is that you take certain min or hours to get in a place etc. This time is determinated by the game but has a totally incredible basement(dont know hot to say it...incredible explanation, so).
If you cheack at the online game directorys of MERE strategy you wont find so many games in real time.
6- This is a free game(for what i know, similiar to planetarion but we have changed it) where you CANT USE the money even to having features. You just support the game and buy items to indetify with.(A thing in wich i am the best player and i havent bought anything, jeje)
7- Is text based, not a single graphic and too much time to download. Your battles are just a calculation and everything is given by text.
8- You can run it at every operative system
9- I will be honest too, maybe a year ago was when i look similiar games. If you remember this is just strategy and not Role play game. So if i am not wrong i look at the directory of online games and not even 1 game was as SpaceTrace. Maybe a few similars but on most of them you had to pay. It could say us that the game is bad or that is not that famous, but it tell us that is unic.

I agree with just about everything you say there. And all those points are reasons I have stayed and reasons I want to stay longer. I like SpaceTrace, I really do. This is the first Free Online Game that has been able to energize me in a long time.

Rubens wrote:
10- You can not expand the game. Why? Think about a player that attacks you with more mp, or that can attack you faster because he has more buildings.(The bad side is that you could be asimilated by 1 alliance if they want, cuz not everybody fills in an alliance, but it almost never happened) If you refer to prewarp planets, you could "conquer" them and change their names a while ago. If you refer to sitting on enemy's planet i think it wont be good and just for the record you can change the position of your planet to one of those pre warp planets

See thats the thing: if I had it MY WAY I would change SpaceTrace to be a hybrid where: 1) You have a limited manpower system (the one that is used now works GREAT) 2) you have a homeworld where all your facilities are located and 3) you can conquer other worlds BUT they do not add anything to your empire other than points (like those used in this game). That way, everyone has the SAME MANPOWER still, and no one is overly powerful, but you are still able to capture and take planets and have an intersteller 'empire' although NO ONE IS STRONGER THAN ANYONE ELSE. It would make things (I think) more interesting because you would have to spread out your manpower over a larger area (maybe they would give you a few thousand more manpower to help with this) and you would be defending an AREA of space, not JUST your homeworld.

If I could make it, I would make that game. Thats just my ideal game, not saying that it would/will ever happen, nor am I bashing SpaceTrace, I am just saying what I would like better.

Rubens wrote:
11- I hope you get a long time in the game too
12- As T2 said it tooks some time to become interested at the game.
13- You will be always glad if you stay because you would be part of a unic game

Yea, I am glad I have stayed this long, and I do hope that it continues to draw my interest for months further...

Rubens wrote:
14- How to play SpaceTrace(ST)? Tutorial by Rubens
First, to be a really good player(Refering to the score) you should know that you have to be really active at the game. Even if it takes some hours to get another player, be online helps a lot to know how you will attack him and whats around you.
You should at least understand how the fleets are moving to everywhere. How they move in coords of a max of 3 numbers in the axis. X/Y/Z
Understading how the works the conflict timer and the random on the battles and the fleets vs fleet etc
And the most important thing. Understand the battle syntax!!!!!!! of each ship and practicing how they works on the battle in wich you have also to understand how work them. The subbattles the syntax of wich ship hits first etc.

I will indeed attempt to remember those things, and make sure that I understand them. If I find that there are some that frustrate or confuse me, I will be certain to bring them here.

Allow me to take this moment to say Thank You to everyone here who has helped me and everyone who will in the future. I greatly appreciate it and I hope I will be able to add as much to this game as I can.
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Conejo wrote:

Thanks, so I can leave it there and get infinite scans from now on then, and does the other person KNOW they are being watched?

I promise I will reply to the rest later, its just late and I have some homework

Yes you can have infinite data till you destroy the probe or somebody destrroys it(see probe invader, not everyone uses it.) They dont know, but if they are near they would imagine about it. The only way to know if you have a probe over you is making another probe that tells you which kind of probe are on you.(See oscilation probe, also not much used)
PD:Sorry about my mistaking of "wich" besides "which"...

Quote:
Well I suppose you can call me Derek, although the reason I picked Conejo was BECAUSE of the Spanish meaning. I lived with an El Salvadorian family my last year of high school, and one of my friend's uncles couldnt say my name in english (cuz he couldnt speak it) and so he asked me what I would rather be called, I told him call me a Rabbit (thats my Halo2 tag) and it stuck, he laughed and called me "Conejo Blanco" ever since its been my new name.

Nice history Derek:P. I dont why they couldnt call you like that. Last year of high school? So you are 18, in the university and working in at McDonalds of USA?XDDD
[/quote]
 Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Wow. Thats quite the story, and I didnt mind reading it at all. I suppose then that we will become good partners here at ST if I stay onboard.

Yes we will....hope....

Quote:
See thats the thing: if I had it MY WAY I would change SpaceTrace to be a hybrid where: 1) You have a limited manpower system (the one that is used now works GREAT) 2) you have a homeworld where all your facilities are located and 3) you can conquer other worlds BUT they do not add anything to your empire other than points (like those used in this game). That way, everyone has the SAME MANPOWER still, and no one is overly powerful, but you are still able to capture and take planets and have an intersteller 'empire' although NO ONE IS STRONGER THAN ANYONE ELSE. It would make things (I think) more interesting because you would have to spread out your manpower over a larger area (maybe they would give you a few thousand more manpower to help with this) and you would be defending an AREA of space, not JUST your homeworld.

If I could make it, I would make that game. Thats just my ideal game, not saying that it would/will ever happen, nor am I bashing SpaceTrace, I am just saying what I would like bette

This cant happen. It would be stupid to build ships at different places of the universe at the same time. And if you conquer a planet and you put some buildings there like a TWG you are advantaging other people you can travel faster and the fact of wining pts would be missing;)

Quote:
Allow me to take this moment to say Thank You to everyone here who has helped me and everyone who will in the future. I greatly appreciate it and I hope I will be able to add as much to this game as I can.

I allow you, LOL.
Now, allow me to say... you welcome...and welcome aboard:D
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject:

If someone attacks with ALL ONE class, what can counter that?

Say someone attacks with:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 2) All Destroyers
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

Any help with this would be beneficial in any form: are there some type of ships (up the tech tree) that do extremely well against these? Are there some basics that work well against other classed basics well? Is there some strategy/rhyme or reason for what to do about these setups or one like them?
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject:

Another thing (sorry to stack posts):

What does the enemy see if my fleet is cloaked coming toward one of his fleets? Does it say "incoming cloaked fleet signature"? Or nothing at all?

And when I cloak, can I do so without limit? Such as cloaking and decloaking with no limitations or drawbacks except that I cant fight while cloaked. In that case: cant I send in a cloaked fleet to where he has a fleet sitting in the middle of space then once I get there (presumeably when I get back online) I will decloak and attack his fleet, then cloak again and disappear? Can that happen?

NOTE: all of this using the E-ray technology Shadow Star
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Conejo wrote:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

Any help with this would be beneficial in any form: are there some type of ships (up the tech tree) that do extremely well against these? Are there some basics that work well against other classed basics well? Is there some strategy/rhyme or reason for what to do about these setups or one like them?

What do you mean with all one class? All ships are CLASS ONE? c1? Fighters than?

Quote:
Another thing (sorry to stack posts):

What does the enemy see if my fleet is cloaked coming toward one of his fleets? Does it say "incoming cloaked fleet signature"? Or nothing at all?

And when I cloak, can I do so without limit? Such as cloaking and decloaking with no limitations or drawbacks except that I cant fight while cloaked. In that case: cant I send in a cloaked fleet to where he has a fleet sitting in the middle of space then once I get there (presumeably when I get back online) I will decloak and attack his fleet, then cloak again and disappear? Can that happen?

NOTE: all of this using the E-ray technology Shadow Star

No it just say as a normal incoming. "Hyperjump X player eta 6 hours". But the DSP cant show your fleet

Yep that can happen. You can cloak and decloak so many time that you want to. And normally that happenes with the pirate flagship and you can do it with the SS...a fleet at the BH that is alone, you attack it, you get a battle and you cloak the fleet and nobody saw it.
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Rubens wrote:
Conejo wrote:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

What do you mean with all one class? All ships are CLASS ONE? c1? Fighters than?

If I DSP him, and it says that he has all one class like so:

CLASS 1 = 400 CLASS 2 = 0 CLASS 3 = 0 CLASS 4 = 1

What is the best set up to counter him? Would I have the best chances if I set up my fleet like his? Or should I lean on Class 2s or 3s? Or is there a specific technology that is good at this?

I dont know what KIND of ships he is using, but assuming he has most of his MPs stacked into one of the class categories, what is the best course of action so I have the best odds and results?
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I am still in my first evo, but I have learned a lot about spacetrace, and how it is unic.

My suggestion is to not make the same fleet as him, because then it will be mostly luck, and youre by long not always lucky, I suggest some heavy firepower like C3 but ofcourse there is proebly someone that does it better differntly, there i no one way to do things here. Any vets have anything to add?

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
Leonidas II
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Conejo wrote:
Rubens wrote:
Conejo wrote:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

What is the best set up to counter him? Would I have the best chances if I set up my fleet like his? Or should I lean on Class 2s or 3s? Or is there a specific technology that is good at this?

I dont know what KIND of ships he is using, but assuming he has most of his MPs stacked into one of the class categories, what is the best course of action so I have the best odds and results?

if you're e-ray you can use a spectre, add Shield generators to protect it than maybe add 10 cruisers for destroying the mothership too
 Back to top »
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:

see, there is a other way of doing it, though they would both work.

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
Leonidas II
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

if you're myccilloid use 5 cyclops, 10 cruisers
 Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Conejo wrote:
Rubens wrote:
Conejo wrote:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

I see dificult to think that he has the ENTIRE mp in a fleet like that.
I am bit busy so i will answer just that case

You have to be really sure that his entire mp is in that fleet(wich is almost imposible). Then you check his raze and you start to think what kind of ships he might has. Assuming you have 2 fleets and that you can use just basic ships you first send 1 fighter and 10 cruseros to destroy the class 4. Then you see his fleet. Depending on what he has on class 1 possibli you can attack him with mass fighters or just forget that part of the fleet and retire.

The hardest part to understand is the research. Remember there is always a specific ship that you can research to counter other fleet setups.
Seeing a fleet like that wich supously has the 5k of mp there you might imagine(if the raze afford it) that he has evaporators so using spectres or cyclops would be useless. Just attack him with mass fighters or interceptors.
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject:

Can you change your race when you reach the top evolution and restart?
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject:

Well yes you can, but it is very long the evolution
Of course you can make a total new account and you will have new coords
So the race that you have now can not be changed. You can delete it and make a new one. Or end this one and change the race in the other account

PD:You will have to wait a little for the borg era's resume
 Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

Man i havent even started it. Plz just read old post and search them on the forum.

BTW i have just saw you have another battle, how was it?
 Back to top »
Conejo
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

Rubens wrote:
Man i havent even started it. Plz just read old post and search them on the forum.

Umm... what?

Rubens wrote:

BTW i have just saw you have another battle, how was it?

Yes, it went TERRIBLY! I had been away for a day or so (because thats all it takes) and I got pounded! Now I ran back home with my tail between my legs and am currently building up for another attack. I just got my newest toy: the Dreadnought. And I hope that a few of them will blow my enemy out of the void just so that I can paint a nice shark jaw on it and call it a name! LOL but seriously, I am learning, and my alliance is growing and we are trying to get into it a bit more in order to get more involved.

Thus far it has been sort of slow, and I have been inclined to drag my @$$. hopefully I wont lose interest, hopefully it will only build up more interest in this fine game.
Spyder
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject:

Conejo wrote:

Scenario 1) All fighters
Scenario 3) All Crusiers

Lets stick to basic ships. if the attacker has 4500 0 0 1 you are safe as long as your fleet has one fighter at least.

If you attacker has 0 450 0 1 then it would be nice to use his first all fighter fleet against him, but, in this case any class one you have will fight his class 2, then your class 2 will fight his class 2.
If your attacker has 0 0 80 1, then he is either newer than you, or has forgotten that to get your buildings he has to wipe out your fleets class 3 first. Both the first of his fleets, the fighter one and the destroyer one would score heavily from his cruiser attack. But you would need at least one cruiser to protect your weaker buildings and ships.

(Temporarily out of business)

Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject:

I was talking about the borg era that you asked.

You have to be sure of how does a Dread works if you can put the enem fleet here it would be nice. They are always usefull but be carefull if he has evaps or plasams
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Newbie Help » CONEJO's Journey on SpaceTrace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: