Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
score - newbie protecton
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » score - newbie protecton
View previous topic :: View next topic  

do you think this helps ageinst newbie bashing and should be implemented?
yes
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
No (please state below, why)
62%
 62%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 16

admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: score - newbie protecton

a big problem is, that new players are bashed, right after their protection ended. thats why it is hard for new players to join the game.

a solution would be, that you get less points after a battle, when you win against an unexperienced player with less score.

newbies shouldnt be outed as these though, cause it should stay a secret how far your evolution is, so the only value, that can be used is the score.
it wouldnt be good, if it was official how many points one has, so this should stay secret too. the only way to implement something like this is that you get a warning after the second attack that the player you are attacking has a lower score, so the third time you attack him/her, you will win less points:

- if you attack a player that has more than 20000 points less than yourself, then the score at the end of the battle will be 50% less points

- if you have more than 10000 points and you attack a player that has minus score, then the score at the end of the battle will be 50% less points

- if you have more than 20000 points and you attack a player that has minus score, then the score at the end of the battle will be 75% less points

(about the score borders and the percentage can be discussed)

Last edited by admin on Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total
 Back to top »
j.Climacus
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Player who attack newbies are some kind of newbies too and i think they try to get easy point because their score are already below 0. Those who score is 15000 and more take points in score places. They dont need easy points.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject:

i think its a good idea but you have too be careful with how your doing this

eg if a veterin respawns is he counted as a noob till he gets his points up this may be difficult in alliance warfare and may make it unbalanced and if people are making loads of different accounts and were attacking them if its a new account u wont do as much impact
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz

Last edited by mjx1 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Star Commander
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:

nice idea
Menini
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:

I got bashed on my first account as well.... nice idea!
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject:

bad Idea. You cannot make difference between respawned vets and newbies.
Some guys don't use their old account to respawn, but just make a new one, the whole idea will be screwed then

It's good you try to save newbies, but this way won't work
kamekaze

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:

how about we do a rating system showing how many battles you win or lose but it has to be that u only get 1 win or loss per player u fight, so if i hit someone and get 4 brs the overall score means i won or lost. ppl with less wins lose less points, but then we get advantages from having high score for example you can win more against good players when you re good yourself
 Back to top »
Ratchet
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Hannibal wrote:
bad Idea. You cannot make difference between respawned vets and newbies.
Some guys don't use their old account to respawn, but just make a new one, the whole idea will be *** then

It's good you try to save newbies, but this way won't work
srry admin but i have to agree with hannibal but i like it that people are taking care for the noobs
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Uhmmm right now i got to go...so i havent too much to time to think about it.
It's kind of good but there is still a paradigma. A game is a game...even in soccer, baseball etc. Always the veterans have advantadge over noobs.
And doing this will be the 3ยบ change on how to get score. So, what i am saying is that useless compare a score (after this change) with the 150k of wizz or shade. It would be a different ST, MAYBE better(cuz the idea is good) but diferent.
And what will happen with CTF? will the noobs lose less score?
 Back to top »
streacer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject:

I really don't think it's necessary. If people actually read the manual and forums they wouldn't have any problems. At least I didn't. I had a relative score of ~135K after playing for about 2 weeks (14% of my first evo, #1 relative score at the time.)

If you start artificially adjusting scores you just open up a lot of possible new problems.

People are just lazy. I've seen all kinds of useless fleet combos like tons of bounty hunters with no other class 1, or dangerous ships (lowriders/fleet tenders) in expensive fleets parked at home.
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject:

A while back , under this very same topic, Achillies purposed z
a ranking system like in golf or chess. As your evo + score develops, so does your handicap.
Handicap's are visible to everyone. Higher a persons handicap, the less you can score off them. The cream will still rise to the top and the less talented players won't fall victim to the points grabbers because you can't make as much off a high handicapped player.
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Very bad idea....

All the reasons above and....

If this was implemented mass multi hits on top players would start and retaliation on them almost pointless.

I got bashed when I started ST (June 2004) 2 hours out of np, sure it sucked and all...but I learned alot faster. Actually it amounted to a crash course as I retaliated very hard his base and his next attempt got a pre-emptive wipe-out.
 Back to top »
Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:

im against this protection.he who whant to learn and play will stay no matter what the bashing will be.and you can always send a message to the attacker and moslty every vet is preaperd to help.so instead of getting bashied he will get help from same guy.protection of this sort is bad for the game.dont do it.people will get by it and us it for themselfs
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Well...ummm...is the problem attracting new players or keeping new players?
When I first started, I thought the game had promise however I was also playing a couple other on line games as well.
I didn't log in every day and when I did , it was for just a few minutes. It took a month to decide I liked playing ST. Also the fact I got bashed and had a strong desire for revenge helped keep me interested. This is a "sucks" way of getting players to continue but in my case it worked.
I suspect a couple gratifing wins would have done the same thing to me .
It took about a month before I was actually looking forward to logging in to see what had happened. There was a lot of forum bashing when I started as well and I found that undesireable so I just quit reading the forums and never went on ICQ because who wants to talk to a bunch of #$% or listen to a bunch crap?

The point I'm trying to make is, somehow, within the first week or two of a new player's beginning, a personal challenge or goal should be presented to them. Perhaps in the form of a bashing is 1 way and a big win is another. Over all, admin, your idea may have merit . I agree something should be done but finding the right formula is difficult to say the least.
A personal score of - 5000 is not very encouraging to anyone..perhaps something as simple as within the first 30, 40, 50 days of an evo, a persons score cannot go in the minus any farther than (fill in the number) but thier positive score can't go higher than xxxx. Check the little box if you are new and want this portection.
Maybe it's that easy ...????
 Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it is maybe it's not.
I think is easy, but not YOUR easy way, i think what failtrip said is the most easy way to understand the ocntra of teh sugeestion.
I was a multi no farmer with 5 accounts and i wasnt bashing, even so i had a score of -30k in some accounts but i was still playing. Then again a negative score then 30k then 73 k!!!i think since now this is my fimr to ST:

"who whant to learn and play will stay no matter what the bashing will be"
 Back to top »
Metody I The Evil
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I for one think that the newb should not be the subject of an offense. But deffinately, and I doubt anyone would disagree, you should be able to avenge with all might, not just by getting a few hundred where you should've taken 2000.

Making it so that newbs don't go below a certain negative is a good idea.

However, I think that there might be a way for the enhanced protection to be so subtle, that it can even be unnoticable. Distance is the biggest protection

I was thinking in the lines of something similar to Quake2's "respawn furthest" option - in this case, however, simply the newbie's coords are picked not random, but calculated, so that the distance to a certain player is relative to his score/relative score/all time score(more on that - through the link ) etc. That way, newbies will simply be far enough for not to be bullied around by vets, and the better the vet, the further they are from him; also, will end up surrounded by other newbs themselves It's just a conception, dunno WHAT exactly the maths is...

However, still the issue on the determination of vet/newbie remains... I've proposed a solution to that:

http://www.spacetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=4826&forum=12
 Back to top »
Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

i dont think that new players quit becouse of a minus score.if they log twice a week,they dont have a clue what the game is all about.so if they would have -zillion or -1 point its the same to them.we have to come up with something which will attract new players.i dont think that noobbashing is the problem.its the complexety of the game,maybe 2 slow at start(at other games you wait half an hour and you get attack turn etc)or something third.but not noobbashing.when i started i didnt have a clue whats The Game about,but i hardly waited till the end of my protection period.i was addicted from the first second i saw it.and even if i was bashed i would still play.and the guy who would bas me would be history today lol.
this is unic game,i try to find similiar but had little success
WE CANT LET IT DIE
 Back to top »
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject:

I, Rubens, i am saying this.
Ave failtrip
 Back to top »
Guy-with-a-gun
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Well there is no way to keep away noobs from respawned vets but if you use a SpaceID thing that someone else invented, it would work. It is a good idea but this works only in combination with the SpaceID, or a part of it.
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:

actually, i think players are frustrated when their score is in the minus

so i think we will implement, that you cannot go below zero

if you already have zero points and you loose a battle, only your alliance will loose the points.

and an alliance score cannot go below zero either
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » score - newbie protecton
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: