Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
Unfinished forever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Unfinished forever?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubicant
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:

An answer, yes. A satisfying one, no. Sure it´s nice that he responded to all those emails. But you don´t have to be a genius to understand that this one
Quote:
we haven't had the claim to create a perfect comercial game with no bugs.
it is more a playground, and that it still is.

i think we attract some players, that like that flare.

pretty much means, what dinskydude was talking about. The players get along with the bugs, so there´s no need to change the "flair". Cool kind of flair, though. However, what does it has to do if it´s a commercial game or not? Just because it´s free, it doesn´t stop anyone from fixing bugs. There are enough good examples for that.

Quote:
there are coming new features every now and then

New features won´t solve the problems in the existing ones. Just to know that the bugs are on the "to do"-List doesn´t mean much, too. That post really didn´t help the situation. Sorry Ruben, but we´d like some changes, not some promises. At least I´d like it. And nothing in your post looks like a solution.

To get it to a point, as much as I respect your position as an admin, you and the others don´t have "time" for spacetrace - thus don´t care for the game. Could you not pass the rights to someone who has the time? I don´t know if the game code is open source or not. But if it is, then someone else might probably be able to fix it. However, spacetrace needs some people with time in order to get better. How to find them? Making a post and asking in it about the knowledge of the community might help. Then you could judge from it, who´s qualified for taking care of the things as long as you can´t.

I don´t think that my suggestions are unreasonable. I put a question in this topic. What to do to make the game better. And thus, I even came up with a possible answer. It´s up to you to decide.
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Rubicant, I don't think the problems are as big as you think they are. And you haven't played long enough to see any bugs. In this threa was said admin was gone for weeks, yet he answered in 1-2 days. The last bug report I made was fixed very soon after I reported it to my delight. The admins made this game while they have full time jobs and a life, they do their best to keep the game going and updates do come( and bug reports are fixed).

X: The "Warriors of the Fallen Star" era

4. SpaceTrooper of Upenix score 16239 relative 16226
 Back to top »
Rubicant
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for successfully ignoring my solution and the problems posted by various old users in this thread, Al. If you are so damned happy with it, stay as you are. I had enough of trying to change the situation. Everythings said and there´s nothing else to say about this topic.
DragonLilly
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ruben for your fast response... I was trying to explain to these guys/gals that a free game doesn't mean that it has to be your one and only objective in life to take care of... keep up the great work... spacetrace is a darn good game... kudos to you...
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:

I still enjoy ST for some of the reasons Ruben pointed out.
It is stragety based...real time. It has a few bugs but the most serious one IMO is the clock timer. This can't be fixed without rewriting all the code or some such similar extreme mods.
With that said, the game, considering what I'm paying is pretty good.
When I get into serious war, I like the head to head, 2 people on line fighting it out.
The clock timer currently does not update quick enough to allow this effectively and it can end up in an exercise in frustration.

With that said, the game works very well although some little mods could be done to animate some things like "ships on planets" and admin would not have to go in and re-seed the planets on occassion.

I can't play serious right now due to time constraints but I do log on almost every day and keep my research going.
I also build fleets to send out with full expectation of being retailated back usually while I'm off line.

It fills in a little time while I have some spare time but to be able to take it serious, I just can't right now. My contribution now is to provide legitimate targets for other players and try to build a fleet that challenges other players wether I'm on line or not.

As someone said, The game is like a boat that has no helmsman", I don't really care where we drift, I get some nibbles on my fleets winning some, losing some and enjoying the banter that takes place here on the forum and through PM's
 Back to top »
linux666
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject:

T2 wrote:
I still enjoy ST for some of the reasons Ruben pointed out.
It is stragety based...real time. It has a few bugs but the most serious one IMO is the clock timer. This can't be fixed without rewriting all the code or some such similar extreme mods.
With that said, the game, considering what I'm paying is pretty good.
When I get into serious war, I like the head to head, 2 people on line fighting it out.
The clock timer currently does not update quick enough to allow this effectively and it can end up in an exercise in frustration.

With that said, the game works very well although some little mods could be done to animate some things like "ships on planets" and admin would not have to go in and re-seed the planets on occassion.

I can't play serious right now due to time constraints but I do log on almost every day and keep my research going.
I also build fleets to send out with full expectation of being retailated back usually while I'm off line.

It fills in a little time while I have some spare time but to be able to take it serious, I just can't right now. My contribution now is to provide legitimate targets for other players and try to build a fleet that challenges other players wether I'm on line or not.

As someone said, The game is like a boat that has no helmsman", I don't really care where we drift, I get some nibbles on my fleets winning some, losing some and enjoying the banter that takes place here on the forum and through PM's

T2, you are a wise man
I feel the same way, sure, it could be better, but what it is, is good enough...i have only one request, that admin knows, it's about the BLOB!!! where is my BLOB!! i have been patient, oh so patient!!! PLZ, give me BLOBs
Connor McCloud
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:

ST is slowly getting less players , but you can't get players to play if they don't like this kind of gameplay . Maybe we need to recrute from other games , or more advertising on games sites . I don't see big changes in gameplay since I joined , all we need is more players. cause more active players gives more battles more wars etc so all try to get other players to like/join and mostly stay in this game . I have been arround for a while now and still like the basics of this game only need more targets arround in my neighbourhood ( and I don't mean to bash noobs ) .

Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Yewah, admin is right... I am sorry that i wasn't active all that time, but i need time to get creative again - it is important to have some distance to this .... my favorite project : spacetrace.

there are still a lot of things on the to do list, but we will take care of it. The next thing we will do is the new navigation panel - to make it more intuitive.

spacetrace is a long term game and project of us, there may be times with stagnation, but we will never leave it alone

you must understand we need some time for inspiration and other stuff.

cya in space
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject:

thanks spacetrace. that summed it up for me.
 Back to top »
Noxus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject:

I hate to say this but i lost my 'lust' for spacetrace as well. but doesn't mean i wont in the future. Just putting in my 2 cents, but...

I think we need to add some new ships/race." Make use of the player created ships. So what if they are some times not reasonable, just make a ship that'll destory that one. And i think this game could fix itself and incorporate the ideas of its users.

So pretty much I think its the lack of change and action. It should be easy enough to incorporate user based ships into the game.

Anywho, miss you guys and hope to see some of you soon on the battlefield. I don't want to see this game crash because it holds a lot of sentamental value for me. But i guess you could call me a hypocrite for not doing my best to keep it going. Although i'm going through a hard time right now just through college and the ever-so-faithful economy that America has. But anywho, when summer or christmas comes around i hope to pop my head back into old times.

Much Love,
Noxus-
SpaceGamer
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject:

Hello All,

I love this game.

Admin keep up the good work and please keep it free.

To anyone who is tired and bored of playing the game just leave already and the rest of us will miss you like the way you miss a migrane headache when its gone.

If your looking for a fight post your cords. IF YOU DARE....
 Back to top »
linux666
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject:

SpaceGamer wrote:
Hello All,

I love this game.

Admin keep up the good work and please keep it free.

To anyone who is tired and bored of playing the game just leave already and the rest of us will miss you like the way you miss a migrane headache when its gone.

If your looking for a fight post your cords. IF YOU DARE....

lol, it's not a question of daring, it's against the rules posting coords in the forum, what you can do is ask someone's ingame name and pm him for the coords, or send yours
keep loving it
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Yea its against the rules but rules dont apply to RobertRoy so go find him
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject:

This winter we have plans to improve some things:

- new main navigation modelled according to this mindmap : http://www.spacetrace.org/entwicklung/spacetrace_sitemap_suggestion_new3.png

- improvements to the colony game, esp. better simultaion of colony evolvement

- the creature game
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:

The creature game? May I ask what that is or is it a suprise? Wow this is exciting i might start playing again
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Lowvoice, how nice of you to remind me.
460/526/59
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:

mjx1 wrote:
The creature game? May I ask what that is or is it a suprise? Wow this is exciting i might start playing again

the creature game is already online, but it is unfinished ... very unfinished

in the future it will have the following features:

* construction of creatures with an intuitive, graphical interface.
* creatures will spread over the galaxy with ship movements.
* a more accurate and interresting simulation.
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Unfinished forever?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: