Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
New notebook pc....
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Off topic » New notebook pc....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: New notebook pc....

Anyone considering a very portable notebook pc, check into this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

Asus EEE PC

Specifications (as shipped):

7 inch diagonal WXGA LCD Display
intel celeron 900 mhz proccessor limited by bios to 633 mhz
solid state hd (but only 4 GB)
512 mb ram
weight: 2 lbs. (0.9 KG)
cost: $375 USD
Came with Linux installed
Power consupmtion: 22 watt (@ 9.5 volt and 2.4 amps)
Battery: runs for 3.5 hours

My mods:

Bios tweak to get the 900 mhz
$25 for a 1 GB DDR ram upgrade
$100 sony external DVD burner
8 GB sandisk usb drive
4 GB sandisk usb drive
4 GB HDSD memory card (acts as 2nd HD)
Transfer of winxp from my older notebook (with permission from MS, so I could validate the same installation disks on another pc on the grounds I am removing it from the old one)

Since it is all solid state with no moving parts, potential failures are almost inconcievable the ac power pack is barely larger then my cell phone charger. This unit is the result of a failed international program to introduce $100 USD PC's into the 3rd world (those models were to be set up with a hand cranked generator and satellite isp modem) but, our 1st world manufacterers would not stand for it

And in spite of advertising geared for children this unit is hardly an item for someone with little pc knowledge and certainly not a child's toy.

Next and last item will be a usb 160 MB external HD (about $100 USD and another 4 ounces of weight to "lug" around).
BEST OF ALL, ALL OF THIS EQ. (INCLUDING THE AC POWER PACKS) TOTALS ABOUT 3 POUNDS (1.4 OR SO KG).

Modification took me 2 weeks as this is a very new item (released OCT 2007) and I had to order the ram upgrade. Although I could do that now in about 4 hours after already having done it.

The game Command And Conquer Generals - Zero Hour was the test for the final mod. Game needs 800 mhz speed to run well, ran slow without the bios tweak and now runs fine

When I pack it up and run off with it I keep thinking I left the notebook out as my pack is so light

Think I will get another. Sure would have been nice to have had this stuff on our recent South Pacific vacation as we took a $1200 total loss due to extreme conditions on our eq.
 Back to top »
Pertinax
Midshipman

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm into this field if you read my description. Yeah sure.. it's alright// but some faults that could of easily been managed better and will no doubt be improved.
Dinskydude
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Methinks it's a waste of the 375 Dollars. It may be portable, yes, but performance sucks. For one, Dave, i don't know why you would need this portability. Yes it may weigh in only at 1.4 pounds, but i'm sure you can find a better performance/weight distribution. Second, it may cost only so much, but you can afford better then that.

I would recommend you the Mac Air (or whatever it's called), but the day that i'll recommend a mac to anyone will be the day that i take "my willy", swing it around my neck like a scarf, and then do the Dakar challenge on feet whilst fucking myself. Oh, wait. I did that last week. Damn.
Swings cock around neck and starts running.
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject:

My gf's brother got one of these :O
He upgraded to 1GB ram and added a 8GB SDHC and set it as the main hard drive. Cost about the same as my PDA phone, and over twice as powerful
 Back to top »
RenéeAB
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: "VISIONS OF ST"

Note: being married has it's advantages

Here's looking at you all ST !!!

When he gets me one he gets this back

BTW-A very nice unit and still running great (win xp, win vista, linux as a start-up option) and I can now overclock to 1.1 ghz and underclock (to extend runtime on battery charge) down to 450 mhz or so as well
Also a new 10400 mah battery now gets a 6h runtime at the 900 mhz clock-speed (10h at 450 mhz and 4h at 1.1 ghz)

note the usb memory stick that is an 8gb pny with windows vista installed to it and the pc setup for "usb flash boot-up". Linux is on the hdsd card, win xp on another 8gb usb stick, the main internal "c-drive" is only used for windows swap files.

A new technique and software has been developed by a few eee users out there and can be used on any recent system.

To install windows to a usb stick. download:

http://www.3eportal.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=34

then copy the windows installation disk and run this "xp3esd" on that, burn the resulting iso to cd-r and you can install to a removable drive without the stop error on windows boot.

btw-never pull that stick out until after shutdown or you get an immediate bsd.

REM - Pop Song 89
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject:

Dinskydude wrote:
Methinks it's a waste of the 375 Dollars. ....etc

You still out there DD??? Need you to work with us on a custom st interface in the near future if you can

....not a waste of $ after-all. no failures yet in spite of +12h/day operation almost everyday. Unlike renee's lenova which is currently running on it's 3rd replacement HD those shocks while transporting it wreck havoc on the hd's. esp if it takes a shock while running.
Got assaulted in the SF east bay last month at a anti-iraq war demonstration, had my notebook pack (with the above unit in it) get kicked about 20 feet, destroying only the plexiglass box the unit was packed into (inside my pack) and the asus failed to "recognize" it all
This unit is rather expendable due to the low cost should it get stolen, destroyed or etc and using it save our more expensive eq for use in better situations.

DavAlan now plans to get one for Renee for HIS BIRTHDAY at the end of this month
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
Durago
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: New notebook pc....

looks nice, but a storage that can only be written to 100,000 times, can easily be used up very quickly. same as a SD card can be used up by digital camere and erasing and adding new pics does. i'd rather have a hd, and what good is a new computer that only goes to 633mhz, or even 900mhz

a brand new hp or dell with dvd, widescreen and huge storage hd start at under $500us ant they are at 1.5Ghz and higher
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: New notebook pc....

Durago wrote:
looks nice, but a storage that can only be written to 100,000 times, can easily be used up very quickly. same as a SD card can be used up by digital camere and erasing and adding new pics does. i'd rather have a hd, and what good is a new computer that only goes to 633mhz, or even 900mhz

a brand new hp or dell with dvd, widescreen and huge storage hd start at under $500us ant they are at 1.5Ghz and higher

renee has a lenova (5 poounds + the weight of the ac pack) and I got a gateway (one pound heavier...each are 64 bit dual processors) but glad I was not using either in the Bay Area last month
that 375 $ was the cost 9 months ago. can get another for 275 $ now

btw-the 100,000 x writes means total writes (that overwrite current data and completely fill up the ssd). Will take years on that. Besides I put major emphasis on external storage (can now get a 1 terrabyte external HD for 169 $ from staples) Will take years on that.

Next month I get to start using the thing for a use rarely seen. Namely, along with a pair of akg shotgun mics, as a portable "DAT recorder" with hours and hours of recording time. I used to do this with an actual sony dat but not anymore
And then we go way off on U2 or etc tour
From Californication"
Durago
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject:

never thought of that. heh

you could make a belt for it, wear it on your hip and just flip open the screen.

MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah well it's not as good as my laptop...

It comes with Windows Vista Home Plus/Turning it off as standard at the option screen, it has 1 billion khz and the battery life is infitnite. It comes with a free plastic duck mousepad, no failures, no problems, st works fine, looking up stuff works fine, and my gf's brother has one!!!!

SO THERE F**KERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Hello people of the past

I am considering getting one of these. My college supplied them to students doing the extended project (a course designed for students who need more UCAS points which are points you get from getting certain grades that add up to a score the higher the score the better your chances of getting into the University you desire) and everyone loved them. They are very convienent, useful, easy to use and fun

I am considering this package here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-SD-BLK024L-7-inch-Netbook-Preloaded/dp/B001IBHVCA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243770018&sr=1-9

as it is well within my budget and is perfect for what i want

I would like to use this PC around college (would fit perfectly into my bag), at home when generally surfing around the net and dosssing on msn not really bothered about multimedia purposes as I already have a PS3 with all my music and videos on and an Ipod but with 8GB i could still put a lot of stuff on it.

I am familair with Linux rub Ubuntu on the PC in my room and will one day figure out how to get it hooked up to the net. (need to update i'm on something pathetic like 7.4 atm) and as the Windows version is like £200 more I will settle for the Linux version even if it does feel a little watered down from what im used too.

Any suggestions/reccomendations
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Order asap: 1 2GB pc5400(or 4400) Notebook RAM, 1 external usb hard-drive, and a usb cd/dvd burner to add in but even the default Xandros Linux OS running at a stock 512 mb RAM is good enough to get you wireless access, as well as a few basic apps.
and check out the forum at : http://eeeuser.com for alot of useful info, links, etc. for software-hardware, operating systems, modifications possible.
and http://thepiratebay.com for "financial workarounds" of the anti-microsoft type
From Californication"
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Dave had a browse around the forum but I still have some questiosn about the laptop

Could I run instant messaging programs on it such as msn if I brought the linux version.
Would I be able to change OS to something I'm more comftable with such as Ubuntu if I decided I didn't like the laptops OS? I'm assuming that the RAM you reccomended would be powerful enough to allow that?
How easy is it to connect it to the internet (on the main OS and is the wireless chip it uses compatible with other distros?
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:07 am    Post subject:

As far as OS goes, I've heard enough people were pleased with the Xandros build, they just left it alone. But I know several people did switch to Eeebuntu, which changed their name to the infinitely more stupid

Easy Peasy

Don't know if you'd feel okay telling people about that, but I've heard it's basically the Ubuntu you know and love. Roughly similar to 8.10 ver.

And as you look around, you see it was specifically made to be run on legacy netbooks, so you wouldn't even have to upgrade yours, unless you wanted to.

You DO want to, but point is, try Xandros, then try *sigh* easy peasy, see what works for you. Upgrade at some point.

IM programs, why would you ever want to run a M$ product? Get Skype, or any of the other, better ones out there.

If you have to use a M$ product, get the emulator WINE, or some other one, just like normal with Linux.

Go here, first, though. ...actually, everyone, go here:

http://www.filehippo.com/

Everything you could want, all free. Start downloading, and never look back. Also, get the update checker, from the upper right corner. It'll search for updates for you. Things you didn't even know you needed.

Also, OS alternative is a good site, because I try to frown on pirate bay type activities...

http://www.osalt.com/

Just search for the program you want, and it will give you several open source alternatives (hence the clever name, eh?)

Use that site, before you have to go buccaneering, please.

As for Wifi, very easy. With those Asus books, that's pretty much just what they were made to do.

1. Find wifi hotspot
2. Turn on computer
3. ???
4. Profit!

Jean Rostand 1894-1977
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the info. As for the MSN question I like MSN because all my friends have it and virtually no one I know runes Skype unfortunately. Although I do agree that why would I want microsoft crap as long as I'm not giving them money then I'm okay with it. i have since my last post discovered there are a varienty of options regarding this however such as programs like aMSN for Linux so I'm a happy bunny. And of my friends who have owned this laptop they all said they quite like the OS (especially the games that come with it). I think one of them was talking about buying the Windows XP version but I dont think he was actually stupid enough to go ahead and do it So yes I think I may well order this PC thanks for the advice guys and FYI Dave I will be upgrading using the chip you reccomended if i do get the laptop I just hope I dont mess up the installation somehow. Love modding hates breaking things.
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Get a 250gb external usb hd and the following setup becomes possible. All installed op systems boot from this drive too.
The internal 4gb solid state hd is merely an ntfs partition used by windows as swap:

Partition Table List:
sdb1 - ZFS - Open Solaris
sdb2 - NTFS - Windows Vortex Vista 2nd Generation (thnx tpb )
sdb3 - Linux and Solaris Swap
sdb4 - DOS Extended Partition containing:
sdb5 - EXT4FS - Ubuntu 9.04
sdb6 - EXT3FS - Mandriva Linux One 2009 Spring Boot ("/boot")
sdb7 - EXT4FS - Mandriva Linux One 2009 Spring Root ("/root")
sdb8 - EXT3FS - Linux evaluation boot install zone
sdb9 - EXT4FS - Linux evaluation root install zone
sdb10 - FAT32 - Operating System File Transfer Zone (solaris cant read ntfs or linux partitions, vice versa but, but all can read / write fat32)

Also virtual box versions for each os allow setup up and run most any os from within a "host os".

BTW-THIS IS NOT LIMITED TO ASUS NETBOOKS BY ANY MEANS
From Californication"
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Ive decided against the laptop as my sister brough a Acer (different model) and it broke down after 3 months so we sent it back and they want £120 to repair it claiming that we broke the motherboard. How the hell does a person break a motherboard through normal use.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:

Despite my previous post I have actually gone and brought a notebook however quite controversially I haven't brought an asus.

I have in fact brought the Toshiba-NB200 for £200 (dont ask me what the exchange rate is this recession is confusing) and that has 1gig memory upgradable to 2, intel Atom processor, intel media acceleration driver, 160gig hard drive, windows XP

There are only slight differences between the toshiba and the asus. The asus features a solid state drive to prevent damage and the Toshiba has a motion sensor drive.

The toshibas slightly lighter and has a built in microphone as well as webcam also.

In all fairness the only reason why I choose the Toshiba instead of the asus was because the Toshiba had a better warranty (1 years break down cover with full refund and replacement if breakdown occurs)

The toshibas a bugger to switch to linux apparently however
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave you clever man if your still around how is it possible to boot ubuntu from a external hard drive. I would like to switch to ubuntu on my notebook however as I use it mostly at university and the university has some wierd hidden network that has to be unlocked through running some source code on windows and nobody knows how it would work on linux I'm stuck with windows XP. My main PC is ubuntu though but I would like the option of booting into Ubuntu from an external hard drive I just don't know how.
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Off topic » New notebook pc....
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: