Register
The Great Debate
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » The Great Debate
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: The Great Debate

I think, as a well known, much loved, talented and witty forum member, I should speak out for some and speak out against many in what some people are dubbing.. the 'ST Revolution'.

It seems that, on the red corner, you have the traditionalists.. like Senor, Marlito, RobertRoy.. the ones who want everything to be the same. Who want everything to just be normal. Like it is, like it always has been.

And on the other side, you have the modernists.. the radicalists. Lilly.. er.. well, perhaps, just Lilly.

And it's kind of like XYZ meets CGC.. the vets support the vets.. the noobs support the noobs. No one in the middle can make their mind up of who they want to win. It's like a War.. infact, it IS a war!

And, it's also my opinion, that both sides need to accept what the other side's points are. The red corner wants things to stay the same? Why? Because it's more fun.

The blue corner wants things to change.. why? Because they don't like being the receiver of all the fun. Make love, not war. Accept each others choices, accept each others conflicts.. agree to disagree!

And once you have all done that, we can all move forward, together, as a team.. and to move forward we need to set goals - clear... decisive... agreeable goals. -

I think there are 4 clear things that the game needs. Now I am going to spend 10 minutes of my life writing down what these things are.

Number 1 - Conflict and stuff
The forum, and infact, the game, is too uninviting for noobs. Look at us! Every topic is filled with hate! And yes there are noob helpers, there is an ST quiz and generally noobs can, if they really put their minds to it get help, but do they put their minds to it?

No!

They are imbeciles! They live in a world were everything is in a wrong language that they don't understand. Even their name is in completely incomprehensible lettering!!

Instead of the noobs come to us, we need to come to the noobs. We need to invite EVERY noob to an alliance, we need to ASK every noob wether they need help. The forum isn't a friendly atmosphere at times. For God's sake Lilly, I tried to help you in that blasted MSN conversation, you didn't accept my views, I walked out, and you didn't even care!

Number 2 - Some sort of revamp
The front page is so dreadfully boring. I'm not kidding. It's been the same, black, boring background for as long as I've played. Sure, for you vets you only need the login button.. but for noobs, they need everything under the sun to welcome them to the game!

I thought that my design was welcoming enough, and this was my design:

http://www.spacetrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6492

And everybody thought it was good, so, hell, that's add it .

Aside from that, there are a few spelling mistakes in ST. I know that I have said this before, but capital letters are my big burden. Why have a game with no caps? It is common sense, it is logical and grammatically correct to do so! Scrap 'artistic license'.. this is a space game, not an Andy Warhol exhibition!

We need to really decide on ideas too, like the shipyard stuff and the technology inventions. Even if some important vet thinks the idea is useless, if the overal vote is in favour, I think we should go for it.

Number 3 - Making ST more noob-friendly
It is truth universally acknowledged, that the game is too difficult for new players. We have seen this time and time again. Noobs come, Noobs go. For the player count to rise, we need to hang on to these noobs for as long as possible,

I think the vets are only a small part of the problem. Vets, from my knowledge, only attack noobs when they are inactive, or, in CGC's case, when the noobs are virtually (but not literally) asking to be attacked.

In my opinion, the vets aren't the problem

But, also in my opinion, the vets need to be more friendly to our newcomers -

Maybe there should be some sort of list of new players and once a new player logs on, a newbie helper should instantly send them some sort of 'welcome message'. Or each new player should be adopted to a newbie helper, who can train them (question to newbie helpers, how many newbies ask you for help?).

Number 4 - Advertising
Once we have completed all of the 'objectives' above, I think we can think about advertising the game on a serious level. There are countless links on the 'marketing' board to games sites where ST is listed. If we add some sort of voting link inside the game, it would make ST a lot more popular.

I think the main thing here is to copy other games sites. They have voting links, which earn you tags/credits and they are very successful (more successful than ST).

Also, I will send you my video, admin, for the Spacetrace advert . That will help.

-----------------------------------------------

After all that, I think we just need to relax. It's just a small game that 100 or so people from around the world play. At the end of the day, we go about out normal lives, our normal activities... occassioally logging on to see what's new.

It's just a game, so we shouldn't so get worked up about it.

Also, admin wants the game to get more players so, I think something has to be done. I think a lot of things have to be done.

I think that, everything in my list has to be done, then, we WILL get MORE players.

Good Luck and Good Night Spacetrace!!

Failtrip1
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Sorry didnt read it all but when you started didnt you get all the help from all parts of community?Or am I wrong MJ?
Just to end this part of "vets" not being friendly
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Well, I could of got it if I wanted, I'm an intelligent person, but I think some people do not know where to get that help from.

I was in Silver Sword Alience anyway, DD helped me out

I think vets are friendly. Marlito, you are friendly, but as I said, I think the newbie helpers need to ask every noob who enters the game wether they need help or not .
DragonLilly
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:

noone's offering us any help... or I wouldn't be complaining so much

I've asked for help only for my alliance to be bashed even harder... not to mention the Veteran players of XYZ hitting our newest 2 members constantly...

SO YES!!! THE VETERAN PLAYERS ARE NOT HELPING THE GAME AND BASHING NEW PLAYERS!!!

deal with reality... look at yourselves... it never used to be this bad... I will stop calling the Veteran Players newb bashers and hurtful to the game once they start letting my members learn to battle instead of just rebuilding their bases constantly!!!
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Lilly, you need to stop thinking about your own alliance and start thinking about the bigger picture.

You can, if you want, just surrender from these guys. I would. I wouldn't want to fight them, so I wont.

It makes two sides to make a war, so just get out of it. It will make your alliance members feel a lot better for it.
DragonLilly
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject:

we will NOT surrender... and let another new alliance go through what we're going to thru... this war blood has just gotten a bit thicker thats all... and soon enough the tables will be turning... just wait... ST is in for a shocker... too bad Senor won't be around to witness it...

This War is now about 2 alliances fighting for what is best for the game... and I will prove them ALL wrong... and show the community that newb base bashing isn't the answer
 Back to top »
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject:

amen
 Back to top »
Inatic
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject:

I AGREE with alot of the things you are saying MJ
But there are a few people who helped me,
But they werent the starter guilds.
I was in both the Twilight Force and Imperial Guild and neither bothered to send me ONE message welcoming me or giving me tips to the game so i just left and found my own alliance. It didnt last long and it was broken up. I quit and then 2 months ago i started playing again and found an alliance that has helped me so much.

SO I HAVE ONLY ONE SUGGESTION IN WHICH NEEDS SERIOUS CONSIDERATION.
The people in charge of the starter guilds needs more improvement on training their new members. I don't know if they do know maybe they have new leaders because of the new era idk.
But if they want to be the leaders they should be willing to help each member with their questions. I have been in both of those alliances and i learned more on my own than with them.
 Back to top »
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject:

DragonLilly wrote:
noone's offering us any help...

Untrue.

As for how this topic started, MJ, mostly agree, though much loved? Well, who can say.

I have an active WSP scanning the area, and for the past week, I've been sending a welcome message to every player to appear on it. I offer them help, and tell them how to use the com screen to locate newbie helpers, if they want to.

So far, no replies, and none of the new arrivals are still playing, it seems.

I don't know how to keep players in the game beyond the login process.

As for what became of this topic, just like every single other topic, lately, didn't XYZ declare war on CGC because they felt CGC was newbie bashing?

Maybe we all need to take a deep breathe, and face the facts.

As for advertising, along with MJ's suggestions, I still think my idea of a wikipedia entry is a good start, and this weekend, I will try setting one up. Notable, schmotable. The only thing that keeps most wiki pages going is rabid fan base. If we keep after the people trying to kill it, they might just end up checking the game out, and who knows.

Jean Rostand 1894-1977
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » The Great Debate
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: