Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
communication scrambler
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Possible new Technologies » communication scrambler
View previous topic :: View next topic  

this vote will decide about the future of this invention:
this can be added to the game
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
it needs some changes but it is a good invention
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
i will post the needed changes here
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
no good try another one
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 17

tec_server
Technology Bot
Technology Bot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: communication scrambler

communication scrambler (probe)

this probe can scramble the communication links between fleets and their home planets. once it starts scrambling (for 4 hours) all fleet in its radius of 4 sectors cannot recieve commands from their owners.

scanradius: 4

speed: warp 10

researchtime: 1 d
buildingtime: 12 h

needed research:
fanatic warfare
 Back to top »
Dinskydude
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

1. why does it need a fanatic warfare?
2. only usefull if the player wants to move his fleets EXACTLY inbetween those 4 hours.
3. After that it has no purpose anymore as it won't go again.
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

yeah , but 4 hours is enough to tear a uncommanded fleet into little peaces.
 Back to top »
Dinskydude
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

it will probably still fight, so what's the point.
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

you can trap some fleets at the blackhole, avoid that they reorganize their fleets. I think it is a balanced invention. I would use it.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

does this mean that the fleet would like change direction and end up 4 hours away from where they were origonally
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

This sounds like a really cool invention. It sure would tick off a multi fleet attacker when he lost control during his attack run. Also could leave him wide open to counter attack.
I like it but i sure would not like having it used against me when I was planning a multiple fleet attack.

I say...let's try it out...it will not be used too often but Oh...what a surprise when it gets activated.
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

indeed T2 but are we missing something

a fleet on its base

this probe comes in

woosh empty base for the next 4 hours
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iuztheevil
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I would go with overpowered....

You have 1 fleet at the BH (silly, but it happens) and BLAM, you get hit with one of these probes....even if you are online, you can't do a damn thing...you are doing a drop attack out of hyper and BLAM you are hit with one of these...you are now either going to be a sitting duck or will overfly for 4 hours (8 hour total time to return to attack point, enough for reinfs)....

I would most likely use a setup of two of these probes and one eye in the sky....and I would have 8 HOURS of coverage for ANY FLEET in ANY AREA. I could also make up for lack of control of my own fleets by staggering the activation of the probe with the setting of coords of my own fleets....this could potentially provide 12 hours of uncontrolled fleet time for ANY 4 sector radius (provided I had alliance members who had DSP's in the target areas)....I don't like that at all....

I MIGHT agree with this IF the use of the probe will PERMANENTLY destroy one probe slot....so you could use 3 per round (but then be probeless)... I think that would make players think twice and the consequences would equal the possible benefit....

This invention could have great CTF implications as well.....
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

The permanent deletion of a probe slot is a little harsh but maybe a compromise of loss of a slot for a specific length of time...say 3 days might make it a probe that would not be used carelessly or without consideration for the effects it could cause.
I have not given a lot of thought to it's use but I think it still could be fit in. Perhaps some modifications could be implimented so the probe does not affect base fleets.
I definitely think more discussion on possible implications on it's use and misuse could be explored.
 Back to top »
iuztheevil
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Probe slot loss would satisfy me, but it would have to be a longer duration. It would be a very interesting tactic to try out, but I strongly feel it needs to be very limited in use. Slot loss on the order of 7 to 10 days would allow this tactic to be used about 30 times per evo....that's once every 3 days....which I think is too much (I could rotate the slot that is 'taken' and still have DSPs or even a pyramid/eye combo). Maybe 15 to 20 days would be better. A very rare, very costly tactic which would truly limit probe slot usage in this manner.

This invention, if used properly, could be immensly powerful. I would consider lower days if MP had to be devoted to rebuilding probe slots, say 500 MP tied up from activation to probe slot release for the 7 to 10 day range, then the probe would suck MP away from fleets as well as tie up a probe slot, which I think would be ok to let it be used every 3 days for a potential 1500MP reduction....

But it would be cool to try out.

Edit - s u c k is masked?!?
Scipio Africanus
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

It would be cool if you fight a fleet battle lose then send your fleet loses
and you send one of these to hold off there fleet so you have time to rebuild your fleets ah ah
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject:

Your right...when I think it over and re-read the implications it is too powerful.
You could howevr drop the active time and the scan radius to a 2 sectors (1 hr flight time) and make the duration last only 1 hour. You could still raise a little hell with it but it would be contained to 1 on 1 duels and fast skirmishes at the score planets....naaaa...on third thought...forget it...it would be a fight stopper...not something that promotes battles.
I'm convinced, despite a neat idea and concept, it's too powerful as well. Now..... if I coud pick up some type of ship at a prewarp for a cost, it would be fun to try once but....not good.

It does give me some ideas however of some Kazulla ship that when fires, causes a navigation error in a enemy mothership causing fleets to stray by 1 sector when hit by this ship. I think there was talk of an invention that slowed a MS down by a couple warp factors.....I digress......
Some other time when I'm bored
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Way overpowered.... :S

Two or three players could hold a score planet indefinately with these things also....another multi's wet dream given substance to say the least.
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

it would be handy when using wormoles or MTWG's. you send one to the enemy, and as soon as they arrive (if you know when they will) you activate it, and their stuck. it wont be used as much, but it should be implemented anyway.

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:

Knight of Truth wrote:
it would be handy when using wormoles or MTWG's. you send one to the enemy, and as soon as they arrive (if you know when they will) you activate it, and their stuck. it wont be used as much, but it should be implemented anyway.

This would not affect wh's (which do not move anywhere) or mtwg's (which are controlled by the alliance's CoW).
I think giving a single player an ability to halt several players is way too much.
Also, the most active players would dominate in a hurry. Anyone with less than 12h / day would not stand a chance against some of the more active players in ST....and there is that multi wet dream waiting for an "answer"....

I would not recommend this in anyway.....
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject:

Think along these lines...for 1 hour, any fleet changes will only be affected. This means , if at the BH and a fleet came straight in, it would not have any effect. If the BH attacker tried to , at the last minute divert a couple fleets to 1 sector out, the probe effect takes place where the coords are shifted by 1 random sector. Perhaps into the BH itself as well. Or...the diverted fleets will not respond to any more course changes until the probe runs out or until your fleet gets to it's destination. This would spoil any, what I call, "bouncing" where you are trying to manouver the proper fleet to strike or defend the opponent or hyperdropping in on the planet.
I'm not trying to give this invention creedence but rather, explore the possibility of a slightly different acting weapon that could be possibly be implimented somewhere / somehow
 Back to top »
Darth Zekk
Ensign
Ensign

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject:

I say that this would be very useful in alliance war encounters cause you send this and boom the entire alliance is there and destroys their enemies cause of this useful little item.
There is No True Inner Voice
There is Only Yourself Thinking Crazy
-Darth Zekk Dark Lord of The Sith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Ma4BvMUwU
 Back to top »
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Darth Zekk, you should read the posts above well. This probe is to powerfull. I also think it makes the of fighting we have now different. I think it is way to powerfull if you can stop someones control over his fleets for 4 hours! Can you imagine an alliance war, half the members will be stopt from fighting, this probe will mess up a lot and I don't think it will make the game more fun to play.

X: The "Warriors of the Fallen Star" era

4. SpaceTrooper of Upenix score 16239 relative 16226
 Back to top »
Jack09
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Ehh its ok what i think we need is something more special in this game. it sounds good cause you could rip his fleet apart by yourself or your alliance, but it is really powerful
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Possible new Technologies » communication scrambler
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: