Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
CORE Technology
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » CORE Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  

This vote will decide about the future of this invention:
It's great and should be added to the game.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A few improvements are needed, but overall, it's a good invention.
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
A lot of things need to be changed, however I like the idea.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Try Again. Good Luck!
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: CORE Technology

Every player has a planet. Every planet has a centre, as long as the planet is spherical. Of course, on Spacetrace, every planet is spherical. This centre is called the Core.
In the past few years, the UFERS (United Federation of Established Races Scientists), have been testing a new technology. The UFERS have given the information of the ship, how to build it and how to control it, to every planet. However, the UFERS specifies that the ship may only be used in extreme cases of war.

Thundercore,
C4 ship,
1200mp,
lp = 500,
ap = 100
The Thundercore is a very complex ship. It will only work when no other allied ship is at the same co-ordinates. It will only work when no other c1, c2 or c3 enemy ship is at the same co-ordinates. A Thundercore cannot provide a warp for itself, therefore has to be transported by another ship. Once sent, a Thundercore is ineffective in battle.

The one and only use of a Thundercore is to obliterate a planet.

Once a battle has ended, the enemy must have no c1, c2, or c3 left to fight with. The ally must send the rest of the fleet away from the planet. Now, the Thundercore begins.

Stage 1 - After the battle, the thundercore automatically works like a drill, digging into the opponents planet. This takes 1 hour.
Stage 2 - The thundercore keeps on drilling into the planet. This takes 1 hour.
Stage 3 - The thundercore digs into the Core of the opponent. Once finished, the attacker takes ½ of the enemies score. (Deaming it useless to attack newbs with little scores).

The only way to destroy a Thundercore is by building Corecongealers. These freeze the Thundercore making it ineffective. The thundercore gets destroyed along with its manpower Corecongealers take 30 minutes to build. They are class 1’s with 10ap.

This new idea has some good positive sides. For instance. People will now have to be awake when they have attacks going on. It adds a whole new strategically side to the game too. I think it would appeal to new players as it gives a new aspect. It is fair and, although would take some time to implement, I think it would be great fun. Better players may not find it as useful, but it is not meant for them. It would be easier to attack multies too, as they fall in the group of, many points, many mistakes. Meaning they would have loads of points and would be easier to target.

Here is what the ships would be:

Advanced Tactics - Core Technology, 12h research time

Thundercore, Class 4 - 2d research, 15h bt, 1200mp, lp = 500, ap = 1000

CoreCongealers (CC’s), Class 1 - 12h research, 30 min bt, 10ap, 1mp, lp = 10

Core - Class 5, builds automatically. No manpower, 500lp, ap = 0

There is also an element of risk. If a player does not research Corecongealers in time, then, when they know they are being attacked by a Thundercore, they will not have enough time to research and build a Corecongealer. Some people may pose the argument -

When a person starts, then they could easily be attacked by a Thundercore even if they have had no time to research CoreCongealers!

Well, researching Corecongealers would take 2 days altogether, hardly enough time, also after protection time, to launch an attack. Also the player wouldn’t have any points anyway!

Last edited by MicroJak on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I've been spending a bit of time working on these inventions. I didn't want to put them through the ingame auto-invention because I feel it's best to describe and annotate them this way.

A few changed I may make:

-Allied ships CAN be at base
-Only 20% of enemy score gathered

Please note - The ships are available to all races.

I don't know if this is possible. Maybe some of you might say it is a good example of my noobieness. But still. I think it would be fucking awesome. And I think that noobs would too. It's gonna be really hard to implement but.. still.. can anyone think of anything better?

Don't knock it and please be constructive.
Senor
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject:

taking 20% of someone's points just like that is a no-no. same goes for obliterating a planet. i mean i'd love to fuck away pathfinders points just before he evos out, but i don't want to see this thing in the game for the same reason.

it's kind of original, but a too big and powerful change.
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject:

Considerable time and thought spent MJ. Good effort.
Do I like It ? ...Not sure.
I have not given it enough time or thought and I'm not likely to in the near future but, initial read of the description did not make me feel like it was wasted time reading it.
 Back to top »
zenachi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject:

MicroJak wrote:
Don't knock it and please be constructive.

These don't fit together.

I personally don't like it. It takes away from the skill that is required to get points.

I'll give an example, Pathfinder, take this as a compliment.
Pathfinder has over 100k points, correct? How did he get them? Noob swanking, blah blah blah, but the point is, he put time into the game and scanned his targets, and got his points, whether by swanking or using different stacks, or whatever. The thing is, he has the points, and you/we don't.

So a brand new alliance starts up, and because of this brand new wonderful "balancing" tactic, they decide to try it out on the top player. They find Pathfinder and decide to gang-bang him. They watch him, and figure out when he goes to sleep (as everybody does) and send all their fleets at him when he does. 2 hours later, he's lost 20% not once, not twice, but three times over. Which means a total of 48.2% of his points lost. Around 60-65k points for a brand new alliance, which finds itself suddenly near the top in the top alliances! Balanced? ..... I don't think so.

Of course, you could argue that the Core can only be destroyed once before the player has to rebuild it. I'd argue that the alliance could jump their fleets and Thundercores over to the next guy in the top 10 to steal his points, no battle pause there. Then you could argue that Thundercores self-destruct, and I'd argue that it doesn't change my previous argument, since each player in the alliance has a Thundercore.

I'm sure there's enough there to digest, so let's move on to the technical aspects, in case we do have to deal with this in-game.

1. The Core is Class 5, and has 500LP. Clear the fleets, clear the buildings, and 5 cruisers, 125 penguins, or whatever and you've lost your Core and your 20%.
Fix: Get rid of the Core as a Class all-together. All the code should be in the Thundercore.

2. Alliance spamming of Thundercores.
Fix: Pay for it beforehand, like the mTWG. And it's only one per alliance. And self-destructs.

3. 2 hours and you've lost 20%? 6 hours is more realistic, though putting in a timeframe doesn't work. Anyone can have real life issues and drop the game, come back, and instead of losing up to 5k points, they could lose 5k points... AND an additional 20%. Or of course they could go to sleep.
Fix: None that I can think of. Alliance members can use CoreCongealers to help?

4. "The one and only use of a Thundercore is to obliterate a planet." Yet you give it AP. And, "the only way to destroy a Thundercore is by building Corecongealers. " Yet you give it LP.
Fix: Remove the AP, increase the LP to a larger amount. Or better yet, once the Thundercore activates, it "evolves" (battle syntax) into the drill, which has 99999LP or something and is immune to the multiply "mod", "kill" and "destroy", and the battle syntax for the CoreCongealers is the plus "mod" and aims only at the drill, and does the required amount of damage. This way, the Thundercore is destroyable by conventional ships until it starts to drill into your Core.

5. Battle pause. Sure, build your CoreCongealers. Battle pause renders them ineffective. Make them immune to battle pause? They have 10AP and 10LP..... for the great low cost of 1 MP. Spam them at anyone that's sitting on your base.
Fix: Get rid of the AP and lower the LP to 1. Like it should be for a Class 1 ship. And make it immune to battle pause.

6. Battle pause again. "It will only work when no other allied ship is at the same co-ordinates. It will only work when no other c1, c2 or c3 enemy ship is at the same co-ordinates. A Thundercore cannot provide a warp for itself, therefore has to be transported by another ship. Once sent, a Thundercore is ineffective in battle." Essentially, you have to fight, then drop it, and then leave, leave it undefended, then wait 24 hours until the battle pause ends, and then it hopefully it'll go off. Terrible for the attacker, if you're going to invest, you want it to pay off, or at least have a real chance of paying off.
Fix: Get rid of that clause. It should work when there's ships around. You can keep the C1, C2, and C3 part for your ships, and apply it to your ships too.

And my final thought. We already have flag stealing, which takes 20% from each member of your alliance, but takes time to charge up. This is essentially the same thing, but in a different form, faster, and geared towards individuals. And in alliance, the flag commander KNOWS he has the flag, and makes an effort to make sure to defend it. In this case, what it means is that if you start making points, you're a target, and you have to start defending yourself, which means you're not making as many points, with half of your fleet dedicated to defense against possible Thundercore attacks.

There's probably more, as there is with any big idea, but I'm not going to spend any more time thinking about it right now.
I applaud the time and thought you've put into this, but next time take a little more time and think about the technical aspects. One thing like battle pause renders your idea useless. Sure, people bring it up and you fix it... but if you're presenting an idea, next time think it through, think about how it's going to work, make sure there's no simple mistakes like this, and then post it, and it'll be an easier idea to sell. Kind of seems like you just had an idea, and then thought of more and more cool things to "appeal to new players." And yeah... "Better players may not find it as useful." Not really encouraging skill are we?

Hey wait, I thought of an awesome idea! How about we implement that, and then we implement another thing. Like... a PlanetBuster, where if you invest 50,000 of your points, you can blow up someone's planet, and they have to restart! Of course, this is only for the better players, since we need something that appeals to better players. New players might not find it as useful though.
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CORE Technology

MicroJak wrote:
This new idea has some good positive sides. For instance. People will now have to be awake when they have attacks going on. It adds a whole new strategically side to the game too. I think it would appeal to new players as it gives a new aspect. It is fair and, although would take some time to implement, I think it would be great fun. Better players may not find it as useful, but it is not meant for them.

i appreciate your mind-work, and you have a good phantasy, but this would be against one of the main basics of spacetrace - which is, that spacetrace is different from other online games, cause you can play spacetrace AND have a job or go to scool.
in spacetrace it is possible to build a strategical advanced fleet, send it to an anemy and not be online during the attack.
sure: it ihas some advantages to be online during the attack, but it should always be possible.
- keep this in mind -
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Well, I appreciate your comments, and also appreciate the fact that this may not be possible. It would be fun, but not possible. I'll get back to the drawing board and try and come up with something else .
Shade
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject:

damn you must of been bored zenachi
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I must admit, I did skim through Zenachi's post .

Care to join me on IRC, Shade?
Shade
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject:

why sure MJ, i'm there...
zenachi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Shade wrote:
damn you must of been bored zenachi

it was either this... or start writing my paper
 Back to top »
Holy KNight
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject:

ya ya the whole taking points from another player dosnt seem good. an im pretty shure mr peguin guy coverd all the rest so id say this disscusion is finished. good effort tho
 Back to top »
hell_fire
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:

If the "drilling" took a longer time and it was maybe a tenth of the score I just might say y......NO. Taking peoples score like that is just not space trace stile. With flag capturing it is an alliance thing not just one player.

http://www.freewebs.com/1cbk/
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Yes. I kind of gathered that it won't work, ok?
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » CORE Technology
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: