View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think? Yes or no?
Yes. This should be added.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No. This should not be added.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Interesting idea. Make some to this changes before adding.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Good idea, but can't be done, sorry.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

zenachi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Separate Area for New Players

The only thing about this game I don't like... is how easy it is to go and noob bash and accuse others of noob bashing. The thing is, with other online games, the "vets" will have much more experience/research/evo or whatever you accumulate in that game. And there might be an attack restriction on those that are much much lower than you.
Sure this game is skill based... but there is a learning curve, and someone in their first evo that's getting bashed on isn't going to stick around and bother learning the game if it's not fun for them. I probably wouldn't have stuck around after my first evo if I was sitting next to Imp Wizz like 2 of our original NS members suffered. (Sorry for using you as an example... but you can take this as a level of respect )

So maybe we should have an area apart from the rest of the ST galaxy where the new players spawn, like in the 100/100/10 area? It's a big galaxy. Kind of like newbie protection, but extended for the first evo. The new players start off there, are taught how to play by vets who they can still message in-game, and can choose to "enter the real world" when they're ready, or are forced to after their first evo ends, or maybe if their score reaches 50k or 100k or something. Second evo should start in the actual galaxy no matter what.
Then noob bashing still might take place... if you want to take a week and a half to send your fleets over there. Or half a week with your mTWG there... then you can't deny being a noob basher. And if you're over in the actual galaxy, you can't say you're being noob bashed. If you haven't learned the game by then, you probably just suck. Or learn slow, no offense.
And of course, separate black hole, some other nebula, some other pulsar, separate leader board, and separate alliances. The leader board will be a great place for the vet alliances to recruit new players that are good.

And there will be a lot less multies, and multi accusations! Sure, go make a bunch of new accounts, own in the newbie world, and then get transferred over when your score reaches the newbie cap (as mentioned before)... The vets will annihilate the multier.

Add more suggestions to this!
 Back to top »
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Just as with everything in life, it is very clear that imposing such a weird arbitrary environment will kill the incentive to excell.

Purely looking at the most basic, fundamental nature of this collectively organised environment, it is clear that it is the exact opposit of the most basic, fundamental nature of the individual human entity.

If there already exists an unbridgable difference, every following step will be infertile.
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

This idea has nothing to do with obscure personal drive philosophies, Robert.

We put babies in nurseries. We don't expect them to go out and get jobs.

When they grow up and do get jobs, they are trained how to do them, not handed all the tools they'll need the first day, and screamed at to "Excel!"

The only change Zen is suggesting, is more of a separation between the locations of the starting alliances.

Most people coming into the game are relatively huddled around 500/500/50, give or take 100 sectors.

Just huddle all first timers around 100/100/10.
That's all.

This isn't about capitalism vs/ communism, or personal altruism, or any of that.

No need to declare this idea unworkable, just because Ayn Rand would.
I feel it's a fine idea.
 Back to top »
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I think there aren't any baby's playing this game. Maybe some people leave the game because they can't take it.
I don't think they and their character fitted in the picture of a SpaceTrace player anyways..

Speaking from experience, I can tell you this is not the way to learn the game.

There are good, better ways of learning the game. This is not it. This is not it.
ilofuyci
2nd Rear Admiral
2nd Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I agree with you here. Absolutely.

This game isn't for everyone. But we're trying to find a good way to get people to get a feel for the game, without being overwhelmed too quickly.

So if you have any ideas about the best way to do that, that's what we want to hear.

What do you think would be the best way to ease players into ST?
 Back to top »
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: ...

this will only work if we could get suddenly over 100 or more new player... then it could work. But the problem is we won’t get so much new players. and this “no mans land” make spacetrace not very sexy for lower player counts.

greetz regiment
 Back to top »
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Newbie alliances and newbie helpers, it has all been introduced already.
Probably, one out of a thousand people who try the game will stay.

I think you can't help the new players much more. Or they have to ask for more themselves. If you want to increase the number of players, just more people have to try the game.
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

I think it would be good if both the newb alliances were moved to the 100/100/10 area of space. they could fight against each other and have a seperate scoreboard for them. As players rise toward the top, you can be sure they would be recruited by any one of the experienced alliances.
Of course, some fairly substancial changes would hve to be made to the game. For instance, if you were experienced, you would want a box to check so when you re-evo, you would not end up being in that area.
Newbs fighting against newbs is the best way to get a handle on the game. soon as you know whats going on, move into the experienced part of space.
I know about a 100 variations of this concept has been discussed before so count mine as 101.
I still like the idea of a newb "top 10" list and scoreboard to see who is really playing the game and making progress.
About 5% of the new accounts/ players actually go on to play the game on a regular basis
I would also keep the proximity of the new accounts together so it is easy to see and opponent, you would not have to travel for hours to get to an opponent. Many newbs evo in for there first time and then say "Now What ?"
Close proximity helps first battles happen quicker which in turn generates interest and a desire for revenge. Both very strong motivators for continuation of the game

Last edited by T2 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top »
al12
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

I think T2 idea ( and zenachi's ofcourse) is good. And if both the newbie alliances were to have an experienced leader who is active then that will help to get the war going.

X: The "Warriors of the Fallen Star" era

4. SpaceTrooper of Upenix score 16239 relative 16226
 Back to top »
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

And how would that be done? First two evolutions in the newbie area? What if some people learn faster?
You simply can not organise this in such a grotesk and crude way. Not to mention, what if somebody wants to be in the normal players zone halfway his evolution?
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what if somebody wants to be in the normal players zone halfway his evolution?

I would quit my newb account and start a new one out in regular space.
For a smart guy Rob, you sure do ask some dumb questions
 Back to top »
Robert Roy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Yes, we all know you don't have any difficulties deleting your account..
zenachi
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject:

T2 wrote:
Quote:
what if somebody wants to be in the normal players zone halfway his evolution?

I would quit my newb account and start a new one out in regular space.
For a smart guy Rob, you sure do ask some dumb questions

It could be like newbie protection... you can end that early but I think I covered that in my first post already
along with the first evo thing
 Back to top »
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Robert Roy wrote:
Yes, we all know you don't have any difficulties deleting your account..

Yea...it's I trick I learned from some guy named Brutis back a couple years ago.
He also taught me how making more than 1 account was possible but I refrained from that practice because it was against the rules.
Brutis always seemed to forget to delete his old account when he respawned and if I remember correctly, he would respawn or I should just say spawn 3 or 4 times during a 90 day period.
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » Separate Area for New Players
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: