Register
Mixing self warp ships
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Strategy » Mixing self warp ships
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renee Davis
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Mixing self warp ships

I just noticed something quite interesting, I picked up a flying saucer (warp 5) off a prewarp using a colony star (warp 7). Resulting speed of the two self warp ship fleet defaults to the slower one (warp 5).
However mix a standard ms with a lowrider (warp 7) or a fleet tender (or time slipper, both warp 8 ) and you get the faster speed. I thought if might be a bug but, I assume the ms's provide the warp feild to each other and the faster one is used whereas selfwarps can only apply the feild to themselves and you get a reduction to the slower speed.
Anyone ever notice this one?
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

Yes.

Back in the old days, Darmadon and I did a lot of experiments with different warp ships, which eventually let to the (now banned but sorely missed) "drop method"
 Back to top »
Renee Davis
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject:

Achilles wrote:
Yes.

Back in the old days, Darmadon and I did a lot of experiments with different warp ships, which eventually let to the (now banned but sorely missed) "drop method"

I remember that one from an old post and was already gone when I started. Something about a Flag Capture done with a single hq invader getting dropped revealed the flaw in the coding (aka the loophole).
That was the moving of an ms out of one fleet into another while 2 fleets were in warp which would cause the ms'less one to "drop" to the nearest integer coord??? Now I can see where that one got away and why it got banned, I doubt the admin intended this one to start with.
We also notice a side effect from that "closure" -- to examine this one, have 2 ms's in one fleet and 1 ms in another and both in warp synch. You wont be able to move that 2nd ms in one fleet into the other fleet even though you are not really trying to "cut the drive" to any fleet.
We tested for another variation also, and found it closed too, to toss ships into a flying saucer "fleet" and see if it "froze" at the nearest integer point.

Lately to hit wth a "ms'less fleet" We use a more involved drawn out method of eta'ing cloaked, mixing off into other fleets to xfer the timers then setting up on the target and wait for timer exp
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject:

DavAlan remembers that one.....logged on once to a br with my 0 21 20 5 base vs a 2000 0 0 0 (all penguins), however that 21 c2 of mine just happened to be 2 spectres and 19 sg's 30 minutes out of production
Very ironic too as that production was done due to me getting c1 spammed (4000+ c1 in 3 fleets) by Pig of Little Town(?), some other one called ElFish of Fishey in sequence about 3 or 4 times with about 8h max in between incomings...damned multi's ....somehow I managed to keep the base up long enough and it was not gonna happen again with the results they were getting Renee started ST shortly after to support me against such tactics as well
....think he (robin of ??? or something like that) bit off more than he could chew that time
Thought it was a bug in the br though for a few months until that FC capture made a forum post.
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
Achilles
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject:

We used to use flying saucers too

Another unexpected benefit of the drop method was this:

The now motherless fleet immediately dropped into the nearest coordinates. Therefore, we could drop onto a planet or coord 15 MINUTES away!!! Nothing like surprising someone during a chase, eh?
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject:

anyway - the drop method-bug is fixed.
as you said: it wasnt supposed to work alt all... we just didnt think about it in the beginning of programming.

about this:
Renee Davis wrote:
Lately to hit wth a "ms'less fleet" We use a more involved drawn out method of eta'ing cloaked, mixing off into other fleets to xfer the timers then setting up on the target and wait for timer exp
this sounds interesting, and longs for a deeper explanation
 Back to top »
Achilles
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject:

admin wrote:
this sounds interesting, and longs for a deeper explanation

What she is referring to is this:

1. Establish battlepause with an enemy fleet (either with a cloaking ship or with a battle).
2. Come back the next day before battlepause is expired and face the same fleet.
3. Take out your mothership, class three, or whatever ships you want to take out to get the desired results, and get them off the planet before battlepause expires.

Enemy fleet:
10 apollos
1 mothership
1 major reconstructor

My fleet 1
200 destroyers
1 mothership

My fleet 2
1 mothership

If I get in here before batlepause expires, and move mothership from fleet 1 into fleet 2, and leave the destroyers there alone, my class two fights enemy class three. Since I have no class three or four, his class four will not activate.
 Back to top »
Renee Davis
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject:

or on the same enemy fleet.

Set up the conflict timer wtih a cloaked fleet, depart that one to where you got 2 300 0 0 1's (all penguins and an ms in each). move a ship from that cloaked fleet into each penguin fleet and back (if you dont need them for the assault).
Eta everything back to the target pull off the ms's from the penguins into the cloaked fleet, cloak it up, and wait for timer exp.

on timer exp:

300 0 0 0 vs that 0 0 10 2, scratch 10 apollos, no penguin losses and NO penguins recycled. No activation of that mr

next 300 0 0 0 vs the 0 0 0 2, scratch the mr and ms with a small chance the ms remains if it gets hit 1st and rc'ed by the mr when it gets hit.

No losses and you still got 600 unrecycled penguins

Move the ms's back into the penguin stack and find some other unaware individual to hit next
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

And finally

When you see that cloaked fleet in the area try not to be one of the above unawares as it may be David, Achilles, Me or etc. testing your awareness (very important)
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Strategy » Mixing self warp ships
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: