Flaws with ST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Flaws with ST
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melechavic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Flaws with ST

I am going to list 2 flaws I have found in ST and explain their importance.

1. Game Reset

What you have created by not restarting every player to default at the end of an "era" is overlapping superiority. This would mean that at any time, there will be players with more technological advances, and simply more time playing the game, will trounce players that are newer and inexperienced by giving them easier targets available to hit. This again can be cured by resetting everyone back as if they just registered. It could also allow longer "era" times as well, giving balance to the system.

2. Multi Deletion

I have a dial-up connection, therefore I love to play these online text based games, however in this one, when a person with multiple accounts is chosen for deletion, players in the game do not attack them. If they betray the rules they should be simply removed immediately.

I look forward to discussion.
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I enjoy the fact that nobody knows what state of my evo I am in. I also enjoy the fact that I do not know where other players are in their evo's.
Someone who is good at fleet manipulation but has basic ships can knock the crap out of someone who has a high evo and tech but not as good at fleet stacking.
If everyone started their evo at the same time, opponents fleets would be too predictable.
 Back to top »
Connor McCloud
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

OLD discusion EVO vs Rounds

Back to top »
Melechavic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject:

Those 2 flaws are fatal, and I will not play a game that is so unbalanced that It means nothing for me to play. Btw, why are the makers of the game playing the game? They named this era Neutral Zone Final Victory. Doesn't that bother anyone that they dominate the game? It is as if they created a game just to win at it.

It's too bad they probably wont even listen to me, which means I need to move on, unless something is done.
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject:

Neutral Zone have nothing to do with the administration of the game. They got to where they were by defending the score planets, being very active and communicating closely between themselves.

Why not come and join us for the remainder of your evo and we can give you some tips that will help you enjoy the game more. The game is also enhanced by alliance play where members of an alliance all have different evo rates and techs available. If everyone in the alliance is active, it can make for interesting plays and strageties within the spirit of internal co-operation.
It makes for a better game. After you do a couple rounds, you begin to see the wisdom in the current system.

P.S. I'm sure Admin do look at your posts and take notice of your comments because of the fact you are a new player and they wish to encourage new players and their comments and Try to improve the enrollment.
Their problem is, how do you change the system to appeal to new players yet retain the level of challenge that older players require to remain interested. It is a difficult balance to achieve.

Much like black coffee drinkers, dark beer drinkers, dark chocolate eaters red wine drinkers and scotch drinkers.

Any one of these people will tell you that putting cream in coffee is poisoning it, drinking pale beer is a waste of time, putting milk in chocolate is sacrilige and the only scotch worth drinking is single malt.

The odd part of these examples is, the majority of people like cream in their coffee and prefer milk chocolate.
 Back to top »
DavAlan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject:

Melechavic wrote:
They named this era Neutral Zone Final Victory. Doesn't that bother anyone that they dominate the game? It is as if they created a game just to win at it.

Note: the rounds take the name of the highest scoring alliance from the prior round, anyone wanting to prevent another NZ named round had better get off thier a$$es and start scoring on this round

DavAlan actually wanted it named "III NeutralZone: Final Conspiracy"

Actually had SSA, TPP, TIA, or etc dominated the last round would that not be the same concern for the others???
They are just another good vibration
And tidal waves couldn't save the world
From Californication"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUKcNNmywk
Rubens
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject:

T2 wrote:
I enjoy the fact that nobody knows what state of my evo I am in. I also enjoy the fact that I do not know where other players are in their evo's.
Someone who is good at fleet manipulation but has basic ships can knock the crap out of someone who has a high evo and tech but not as good at fleet stacking.
If everyone started their evo at the same time, opponents fleets would be too predictable.

I am totally disagree.

Thats a perfect but not a real balance...And if you have all the techs developed and you know how to play the game? then nobody will ever beat you because you can always run away but to win you need to be risky and attack.

I think you are wrong about fleets being predictable in a totally round mode(everyone ends and start at the same time)...there are too much ships and a DSP dosnt tell you enough information.

But i am not that agree with the one who started this topic, this system is better to noobs who want to play the entire 100% of evolution and not 50% of a round...but its not our decision, if so...we could do a pole and then decide, greetings
 Back to top »
Knight of Truth
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:

if someone is good, and has a lot of tech, with tactics, you can destroy, him. there will also be another one with high techs. and the random factor makes so that good players with high tech can still miserably lose.

MicroJak wrote:

For fuck's sake would you both please stop fucking swearing!!!!
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

The era system is perfect and will not be changed. it's innovative. We had rounds in the beginning with a full reset, like all other games. But the era system is much better. If you wish to play a game with rounds ... there are thousends of games...

Many things in spacetrace may look unfamiliar, but there are no flaws, they are well planned features.

Anyway, the game is that balanced, that a beginner can access technology after 2 days of newbee-protection to attack and score against any player, even if that player has evo 99% (if you are skilled enough)
 Back to top »
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject:

i agree with the admin

let me explain somet to u my friend

vets arent into destroying noobs why should they be? they can destroy each other and have a lot more fun outwitting each other that way so my advice to noobs would be dont provoke a vet leave them be and they wont attack u they may even help u if u get on their right side

as for the research so what? i know people who can destroy a variety of different fleets with just basics its called stratergy

and players do attack multis NeutralZone for example allthough we've had a bit of contraversy there l8ly

just play the game or dont stop winging about stuff u know nutin about
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Melechavic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

For example. a member of NZ named victor of the immortal overlords hit my planet 3 times within a few days. NZ is supposed to be hitting multis then instead hits noobs (me) I was about 4 days out of protection before getting hammered and my planning starting over. this is just one story of the abuse potential.
Quote:
Spacetrace said "The era system is perfect and will not be changed. it's innovative. We had rounds in the beginning with a full reset, like all other games. But the era system is much better. If you wish to play a game with rounds ... there are thousends of games..."

Those thousands of games do have balance, and claiming the game is PERFECT is also impossible. What the other games do by resetting is making everyone on an even playing field, so that the noobs starting later can't complain, since it all will start over again. The largest difference I see in this game is that your overall strength or manpower does not change, and the only thing that does change is the research, and you can only build up research the more you play. Also since state of evo and researches made are kept secret, there isn't a good way to successfully beat an opponent, especially when you are on the defensive. as admin, you must always be aware that changes may occur, or need to occur so you mustn't state it is perfect. In your own tests this use of era's may be good, but you must respond to reasonable debate.

Btw, thanks for clearing up the whole name of the era thing, that I can understand. Who then is the leader of NZ?
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

r u neighbours wit this NZ dude if u r his probably just takin everyone out within his solar system
"Although the constant shadow of certain death looms over everyday, the pleasures and joys of life can be so fine and deeply affecting that the heart is nearly stilled by astonishment" - Dean R Koontz
 Back to top »
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iuztheevil
Commander
Commander

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Hrm, let me try to illuminate you on this a bit....

1. Basic ships ROCK, the larger portion of my fleet setups use only BASIC ships. Tech really does not mean much, it just allows you to use different setups which can handle different situations.

2. Understanding how the battle engine works is CRUCIAL. If you learn how to read battle syntax and take the time to understand class battles, then you will realize that even the most "Bad A.s.s" ships can be easily taken out with simple basics, for huge point gains.

3. Research is WAY overrated. I'll admit, some ships make CERTIAN battles easier for me, but a well timed attack with the right fleets (plural) of nothing but basic ships would cause HUGE point losses for me or ANY other player, whether they are at 1% evo or 99% evo.

4. ST is remarkably well balanced. I have played ALOT of online games, and in ST, I can be competitive from day 1 of my EVO (I normally cancel protection so I can attack someone) even against people with alot of research done. I can of course score more with some researched ships, but for defense (esp base defense) basics are the way to go. This gets more complicated as the number of fleets you face increases, but there are ways to hold off multiple seiges if you are online and crafty enough.

In summation, knowledge is the thing most rewarded in ST. If you understand class battles, battle syntax, and have a reasonable idea of what is in your opponent's fleet (based on race and any intel you get from either fighting with them or alliance mates) you stand a good chance of scoring more + than -, but the learning curve is steep. Give ST a chance if you want to find a very rewarding gaming experience.

If you are looking for an easy to play game, try spacefed....lmfao...you would be back here in 3 weeks or less.
Melechavic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject:

So. thank you for staying with me so far. The last flaw I see is still multi deletion. Why do we have players taking them out? Why aren't they just deleted?
mjx1
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

proof a person is innocent until proven guilty and proving is hard to do and the admin has a life too you know
 Back to top »
spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject:

we can delete multies and ban ip's, but we want to motivate people to play honest. Many good player of today cheated in the past (i guess it is because in other games you must cheat to be powerfull )

anyway, in the end it is work for us, the admins and mods, and that is just annoying...

it would be better if the community would so healthy that noobs could see fast that it is no fun at all to cheat ... and after all the best player are honest.
 Back to top »
MicroJak
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Melechavic wrote:
For example. a member of NZ named victor of the immortal overlords hit my planet 3 times within a few days. NZ is supposed to be hitting multis then instead hits noobs (me) I was about 4 days out of protection before getting hammered and my planning starting over. this is just one story of the abuse potential.
Quote:
Spacetrace said "The era system is perfect and will not be changed. it's innovative. We had rounds in the beginning with a full reset, like all other games. But the era system is much better. If you wish to play a game with rounds ... there are thousends of games..."

Those thousands of games do have balance, and claiming the game is PERFECT is also impossible. What the other games do by resetting is making everyone on an even playing field, so that the noobs starting later can't complain, since it all will start over again. The largest difference I see in this game is that your overall strength or manpower does not change, and the only thing that does change is the research, and you can only build up research the more you play. Also since state of evo and researches made are kept secret, there isn't a good way to successfully beat an opponent, especially when you are on the defensive. as admin, you must always be aware that changes may occur, or need to occur so you mustn't state it is perfect. In your own tests this use of era's may be good, but you must respond to reasonable debate.

Btw, thanks for clearing up the whole name of the era thing, that I can understand. Who then is the leader of NZ?

I know that the admins have worked their socks of to make this game fair and fun, so if you don't like the game, please give more realistic sugestions.
Connor McCloud
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

@Melechavic , First try to understand the game , if you are hit by the same player over and over you have to change tactics look what he builds / sends , adjust your fleets to the setting he is sending .
You can step into ST whenever you want , you don't have to wait till the end of a round . use your first EVO to learn the game no matter if you lose points , your second EVO you will know what to do better and score some plus points . But all depends on how many time you would like to spend at this game , Activity is crucial

Back to top »
Melechavic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

Connor McCloud wrote:
@Melechavic , First try to understand the game , if you are hit by the same player over and over you have to change tactics look what he builds / sends , adjust your fleets to the setting he is sending .
You can step into ST whenever you want , you don't have to wait till the end of a round . use your first EVO to learn the game no matter if you lose points , your second EVO you will know what to do better and score some plus points . But all depends on how many time you would like to spend at this game , Activity is crucial

Oh believe me, I've got activity; look at the times of my recent posts! Plus I try to do the stat someone earlier mentioned about log on with the fleet times accordingly. Thats not the problem. I was preparing to attack someone else, then I get hit. Because I hadn't researched trace probe, deep scan probe, or vessel scan yet I wouldn't know his strategy of ships. The second time I thought he wouldn't come back, and I was wrong. By the third time I had vessel scan, and a different fleet strat, but wasn't quick enough to stop him again.
T2
Admiral
Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Well...if you want to have some fun, post the BR's but delete the name and coords of opponent. Especially the Coords part. That is to be fair to everyone.
Ask what you could have done to defeat this troublesome player. Perhaps this person is a worth adversary that can show you many tricks. I have not met a NZ player yet that was not helpful. You may get some great insights on how it takes more than just fancy ships to win a battle. I usually lose with fancy ships and make or at worst break even with basics.

Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » General Discussion » Flaws with ST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: