Register
IDEAS
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » IDEAS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject:

browsing the forum after a long time i found many of interesting ideas.. some concerning new ships but others about general gameplay..

i would like you to scan this entries (hard work - i know) and bring a forum entry for each one u like to have in the game.

there they can be discussed and a vote can take place.
after a feature is implemented or voted negatively the topic should be removed from the game...

you should start a new MAINtopic where a vote is installed too to see whetehre the idea is liked or disliked. by replying you also can state your opinion.
every one should be able to start a new topic there...

i think this forum has the same prob as the internet in general - there is so much information that many good stuff is lost....

so dont let these ideas go away but collect them and sort them so that they can be better discussed...

----

the same problem is with some question which occur again and again....

there are some good answers to those (e.g. more manpower, this battle was strange...)
collect those answers which have been good and bring them into FAQ...
 Back to top »
admin
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject:

ok,
everybody who finds a good explanation can copy it and post it here in a form that would fit into the manual. then we will insert it there.

there is also a functionallity in the forum for ...more information to each ship.
i think here are already lots of these kind of informations in the forum. we should collect them here and add them to the manual too like with the kamikaze cruiser in http://manual.spacetrace.org/mship.php?lang=en#id7

you should also tell here from witch topyic you got the information, so we can move that old topic

[ This Message was edited by: admin on 2002-07-18 17:38 ]
 Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject:

IS THAT GAME LIKE SPACETRACE ??

spacetrace
Fleet Admiral

all who programmed spacetrace played planetarion before (some played it intensive), but we tried to solve some major drawbacks of planetarion.

- real space, real time (in pa it's all round-based and the space is fragmented)
- game play, growing, confrontation's on a fair level (in pa it's possible to have a fleet that's 10000 times bigger than another, but only if you play intensive and raid a lot of guys that are smaller than you; successfull play means in pa : attacking planets that are 5 times smaller than you, big alliances won't fight each other because they will only lose the capability to grow as fast as other alliances that do not fight equal enemies)
We thought that is boring and tried to balance the game that way, that the confrontation between equal opponents is more thrilling; so we thought the same resource level for all players is more fun.
the points are just a indicator for your superior tactics, not for you resource advantage (like in pa); that way the confrontation is the key to the game, and the fun... the best thing about it is, that you don't have to be online all the time, because there is no need to akkumulate the resources to gain more power; just choose the level of game-intesity by yourself (you won't have a strategical disadvantage)
-ships (in pa the ships nearly do all the same, there are some combinations possible, but not really)we tried to invent a ship construction kit to develop a lot of different ships that are doing a lot of different stuff (we are all influenced by magic the gathering, a really interesting and combination-based game), in fact i invented the battle engine and was absolutely suprised about a lot of combinations from players. the battle engine is some kind of parser, we invented some kind of parser language, that can interpreted by the battle engine. That way we can have hundreds of different ships, soon there will be some more functions for more ships; most ships are invented from players.
-alliance play (the advantage of pa is its simpleness, pa is more simple to play, so it is easier to organize in alliances)
but it's fun to fly some organized attacks with your alliance in spacetrace and it is possible to use your alliance trans warp net, and in the end the best alliance with the best organization will win

in the end, we learned a lot from pa, and even that: they wanna have money!
spacetrace will stay free

Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject:

untouchable
Captain

War es nicht mal so, dass alle Schiffe nacheinander schießen???

Wie ist dann das möglich:

your class 3 vs enemy class 3:

me:
18 cruisers vs 18 cruisers
enemy:
18 cruisers vs 18 cruisers

Losses:
You :
18 cruisers
Enemy :
18 cruisers

Das geht doch nicht, weil ein Schiff von ihm schon kaputt ist und nicht noch einen meiner cruiser zerstören kann!

peace of love
1st Rear Admiral

That isn't logical if I attack someone I attack him...

--> yes fred is right!!!!!!!!

dr. merlin the most famous scientist was watching the sky over planet oz when suddenly he saw a huge spacefleet incomming....
the despotic emporer wizard of oz was drinking a cup of plasma with him when this happened and imediately ordered his fleets to ambush the impudent enemy...
but with his head full of high energetic plasma he forgot that he just had 18 cruisers at the base while the others were in deep space to surpress all the other peace loving planets in the galaxy.

the enemy brought 31 cruisers (all he could afford) to battle the planet oz...

in a fierce fight the defenders of oz opened the attack and the leading cruiser shot the first incomming enemy (out of the shadow of one of the numberous moons) before that poor guy even saw the defending fleet.
but those enemies didnt come for a cup of plasma and not lazy the second attacker shot the first defender right away....

after the 18th ozian ship shot the 18th attacking ship (and beeing shot from the 19th attacking cruiser) both fleet commands had to state that there were no ozian classs3 ships left.... (which lead to some bad mood in the mind of the evil despotic leader wizard of oz)

the rest of the attacking cruisers (which were lucky and confused that they werent shot)
needed to rearrange (with allways takes a battlepause of 24h)....

after all the class3 fight were a draw (which saved the life of the ozian fleet commander)

[ This Message was edited by: peace of love on 2002-04-17 12:12 ]

Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject:

DrJevil
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2002-03-04 22:11

A little tradition from Archspace, thougt Id bring it here : )

1.Vote for the most influencial alliance of all time!
2. The most honourable
3. The most liked
4. The most hated

5. Vote for the most influencial person of all time
6. Vote for the most honourable person fo all time
7. Vote for the most hated person
8. Vote for your favorite admin or mod

Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject:

wuker
Midshipman

is there something, that differs from other multiplayer MOO ?
or is this game also like planetarion?

revenge
Captain

i played planetarion two seasons and i liked it.
spacetrace is quite different but there are similar things.

the main differences are:
first:
spacetrace is based upon real-time and real-space. ( thats the greates advantage! i dont liked it very much in pl that the universe was so 'fragmented' into ticks and 'space-drawers')

second:
the resources are limited to about the same for all players. this seems much more realistic than in planetarion.
Like in star-trek (or other science-fiction-series) the resources of the worlds are limited.
for example the klingons can fight the humans, but theya could never use the humans as slaves to increase their resource...
( or something like that)
that leads to a more confrontative gameplay...big alliance prefer to fight each other, than to avoid it.
in pl there was simply a food chain... big player attack the middle ones attack the small ones ( that was a bit boring) .

so... spacetrace is evolving more diplomatic and intriguing , and thats more fun i think.

[ This Message was edited by: revenge on 2002-03-16 18:12 ]

ururu
2nd Lieutenant

i don't know if there are more games like this, that play in real time, but i heard, that all the other MOO's (whats MOO, by the way) are tic-based.
i only know planetarion so far, and i think, it is kind of unrealistic. it feels better, if you can see your fleets aproach the target second by second.

another thing, that is special i think is the way, the ships fight, (it seems a bit like magic the gathering)

there seems to be a lot of work in that battle engine

Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:04 pm    Post subject:

admin
Fleet Admiral

if you fancy a visualisation for the battles we would like to release this task to a skilled programmer.
it is possible to open an interface to such an applikation.
is someone of you interested and able to program such a visualisation?

admin
Fleet Admiral

Posted by anon: 2002-05-27 03:20

Hey admin,

That sort of thing should be done in Macromedia Flash or Shockwave. Unfortunately I do not do graphics programming; otherwise, I would be glad to do it.

-Anon[ymous]

admin
Fleet Admiral

it could also be held simple with HTML and DHTML

or it could also be a small program that you download. then it could be programmed in any language. actually maybe Java is the easiest way to solve this. what do yu think?

admin
Fleet Admiral

Posted by flitze: 2002-05-27 03:48

cool!!! making battles and stuff visualized sounds really good. but i can´t do it myself. hope u´ll find someone who can do this kinda thing!!!

best regards,

The Flitzer

admin
Fleet Admiral

Posted by anon: 2002-05-27 04:36

Yeah, a java applet would be a good idea as well. I suggested Flash or Shockwave because those two are a bit easier to program in; Shockwave was created for this purpose. But it could be done as an applet just as nicely.

BTW, I'm an HTML/DHTML/JavaScript/CSS guru. But you can't have anything in 3D with this. Only a choppy 2D visualization that eats up CPU.

-[Anon]ymous

admin
Fleet Admiral

i recreated this post, to insert the poll at the top

thespectre
Midshipman

Posted: 2002-05-27 14:50

I just thought I might mention this here, but were any of you guys/girls AstroNest players (http://game.astronest.com)? If so, then you should know what I’m talking about every time you had a battle.

For the others still in the dark, there was a simple battle situation where you had the two fleets fighting each other with the number of ships reducing each time (in a horizontal HP-like bar) you updated the battle (by pressing a button!!!) with events that happened in the battle displayed at the bottom of the screen. The results were displayed at the end, but you also had a button to skip straight to the results during the battle (how convenient!!!).

I’m no "professional" programmer myself (just do it at school), but this is just a simple idea (i.e. not involving any ships flying around the screen with sounds playing here and there) to get you guys/girls going. I also think that Flash, Shockwave or Java wouldn’t be a bad idea. You could ask the guys at AstroNest (http://www.astronest.com) for help …

Anyway, that’s it from me for the moment.
Bye

admin
Fleet Admiral

we could make the data open for many versions of battle visualisations. maybe at first a 2D version with only DHTML.

@anon: would you like to try that one?
then we could diskuss about a usefull data format for the battle-data.

anon
2nd Lieutenant

Hey admin,

Sure, I'd be willing to get a DHTML/JavaScript thing working. What sort of thing would you like to be done?

We do need a data format for the battle data. Do you have any ideas?

-[Anon]ymous

admin
Fleet Admiral

i think a javascript that contains all the data in one big string will be the best, because the script has to be short (loadingtime),
you can include it in your script with
<script src="..."></script>
and then you can use the data from within that script.
the data will have the format:
"1-fighter
6-cruiser
8-mosquito
your class1
enemy class3
you start
class2-class4
"
the firt number is the id of the attacking ship, the second the attacked ship, the third is the damage done

this has to be improved a bit, but maybe it's a start.
you can also include this script with php as a file, that you read, if you don't want to use javascript.

admin
Fleet Admiral

i've had no time jet to look at this http://www.astronest.com
but maybe they have a good solution

Back to top »
Bilerator
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject:

if you think that I will read your odd messages you are wrong peace ^^

but I would be pleased if you would start acting in this round !
 Back to top »
untouchable
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Well, I suppose to do this kind of work (collecting of old posts sorting them etc.) as a kind of project. I'm sure that quite a lot of players are interested in doing this.
If suppose peace to coordinate all this.
 Back to top »
peace of love
1st Rear Admiral
1st Rear Admiral

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject:

i could just try to help you and the admins..

i think those old posts are useful as there are some good explanations.
those which are good, should be fitted and then moved into n00000be help or faq...
... thats admin job as i have no forum administrary..

also these post contain some good proposals and ideas which could be revived. i propose that if you have or find in the old posts a good idea post it agin and make a vote connected to it. so in addition to the discussion it is able to see if the idea finds the favour of other players or not.

thats why i thought it worthwhile reading those old posts an di just posted some explanations which maybe make it unnecessary to answer the same questions again...

after one dig through these old posts is done everyone can see them as filed - means there is no more relevant information in them (that should be marked and topics closed maybe) they are just for fun or to be deleted.
at the moment it is iompossible to find anything. i e.g. didnt find my proposal of the crystal cruiser within 5minutes time...
there is too much unstructured informtaion in this forum... which means many good texts and ideas a practically lost...
 Back to top »
untouchable
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I don't think that it is that good to collect all the needed information from old posts etc. It would be better to think of what has to be in and then to look if we had this topic already. The best way is do make a list of questions like:

How do I get more manpower?
Is this game like planetarion?

Without such a list it will be quite hopeless to get some structure into it.

Some of the posts you added to this thread doesn't fit in for example this Archspace stuff or the thread concerning the programming of a battle visualisation.
 Back to top »
SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » Suggestions » IDEAS
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: