Recent topics Log in
Search Profile
Memberlist Usergroups
Register
is this game like planetarion?

SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » FAQ » is this game like planetarion?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilbguy
Midshipman

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I'M NEW TO THIS GAME BUT AFTER PLAYING PLANETARION FOR AWHILE IT KINDA REMINDS ME OF IT. ARE THE SIMILIAR OR DIFFERENT? THANKS.

spacetrace
Board Admin
Board Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject:

all who programmed spacetrace played planetarion before (some played it intensive), but we tried to solve some major drawbacks of planetarion.

- real space, real time (in pa it's all round-based and the space is fragmented)
- game play, growing, confrontation's on a fair level (in pa it's possible to have a fleet that's 10000 times bigger than another, but only if you play intensive and raid a lot of guys that are smaller than you; successfull play means in pa : attacking planets that are 5 times smaller than you, big alliances won't fight each other because they will only lose the capability to grow as fast as other alliances that do not fight equal enemies)
We thought that is boring and tried to balance the game that way, that the confrontation between equal opponents is more thrilling; so we thought the same resource level for all players is more fun.
the points are just a indicator for your superior tactics, not for you resource advantage (like in pa); that way the confrontation is the key to the game, and the fun... the best thing about it is, that you don't have to be online all the time, because there is no need to akkumulate the resources to gain more power; just choose the level of game-intesity by yourself (you won't have a strategical disadvantage)
-ships (in pa the ships nearly do all the same, there are some combinations possible, but not really)we tried to invent a ship construction kit to develop a lot of different ships that are doing a lot of different stuff (we are all influenced by magic the gathering, a really interesting and combination-based game), in fact i invented the battle engine and was absolutely suprised about a lot of combinations from players. the battle engine is some kind of parser, we invented some kind of parser language, that can interpreted by the battle engine. That way we can have hundreds of different ships, soon there will be some more functions for more ships; most ships are invented from players.
-alliance play (the advantage of pa is its simpleness, pa is more simple to play, so it is easier to organize in alliances)
but it's fun to fly some organized attacks with your alliance in spacetrace and it is possible to use your alliance trans warp net, and in the end the best alliance with the best organization will win :smile:

in the end, we learned a lot from pa, and even that: they wanna have money!
spacetrace will stay free :grin:

SpaceTrace Forum Forum Index » FAQ » is this game like planetarion?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: